Classic-Castle.com

The source for all your LEGO Castle needs!

Brickfest 2006: Italian Knight, squire, and men at arms

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme

Brickfest 2006: Italian Knight, squire, and men at arms

Postby Recluce » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:58 am

I've gotten a lot of good compliments on these guys and now I've finally gotten around to posting pics of individual figs and descriptions of the processes.

The Blue Lion decal isn't actually a decal at all. It's a rub on transfer by Andrea Transfers, a european product. These decals require that a piece be "primed" with a layer of paint before transfer. hence, all of the silver on the armor, etc. This also means that all torsos for surcoats were painted at least once. Shields, also, were painted and then overcoated. The transfers are on a plastic backing that is adhesive, so the plastic sticks to the lego piece and stays in place while you 'rub' the decal on with a pen cap.

The set I got was an "Italian Heraldry" set, and it comes in several different scales (this one is the smallest). There are many other decal sets, medieval, Roman, anything. Andrea Dry Transfers. They were about $9 for the one set, and have to be special ordered through their 1 american distributor.

The People:

Okay, first off: the obvious elements are Little Armory armor set and weapons. This is mostly seen on the knight with the pig faced bascinet. He is done in silver and grey to show that he is all plate and mail clad. His white belt shows his knightly status. http://www.maj.com/gallery/RecluceMage/ ... knight.jpg

Second: The Squire is in the red belt and is wearing a cast copy of Pharazon's Numenorian helmet. It's very italian looking with the open faced salet look, and I wanted the squire to look different from the regular men at arms. http://www.maj.com/gallery/RecluceMage/ ... squire.jpg

Third: All men at arms are wearing cast copies of the shadow knight helmet. I really wanted to avoid black, and show off one of my newest molds. I really like the shadow knight helmet. http://www.maj.com/gallery/RecluceMage/ ... _arms3.jpg

Fourth: Banners were fun, I had some decals left over and wanted to cover as many different types of applications as I could. http://www.maj.com/gallery/RecluceMage/ ... _arms2.jpg http://www.maj.com/gallery/RecluceMage/ ... _arms1.jpg

Questions? Comments? Concerns?
Recluce
Landlord

Postby Shurtugal » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:09 am

What have I to say? We've come to expect no less than awesomeness from you, Recluce. I love the colour schemes, but the armoured knight especially. I see there's been a nosepiece added to the cast of the shadow knight/bullethelm, an awesome idea.

You are so lucky to get cast sopies of helms and whatnot! I think that you sgould try a shadow knight helm without all the fancy ridges and such, so it's just round and smooth on top.

Excellent figs, can't wait for more. Will you be making more of this design?

P.S. Here's an English link to the Andrea Miniatures site.
http://www.andrea-miniatures.com/eng/Index.php
~Andrew C.

MOCpages!

Eka ai fricai un Shur'tugal! I am a Rider and a friend!
Shurtugal
Bailiff

Location: On the Albertan Prairies, listening to some slow country music

Postby Recluce » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:11 am

If you look at the link to Andrea you can see the set of decals I got... there are several more "factions" that I have to use, just haven't decided yet how I want to do them.

The bullet helm with nasal is all Pharazon's work fromt he numenorean he posted here, he was just nice enough to send me the original to cast. I may make a smoothe shadow knight helm, but what I really want to do is a historical looking T-slotted barbute.
Recluce
Landlord

Postby Old_School_Fan » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:15 am

Wow. I had seen these before in a different post, and was utterly amazed at the creativity. This explaination was extrordinarily helpful in deciphering the origins of these soldiers. You are very good with detailing.

These miniatures are truly incredible.

Fantastic work!
Old_School_Fan
Laborer

Postby Shurtugal » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:17 am

The bullet helm with nasal is all Pharazon's work from the numenorean he posted here,

I guess I didn't look at the numenorean closely enough...

BTW thanks gor the Andrea Miniatures link, I will definatley look into those for customization. Those transfers are amazing. An awesome find!
~Andrew C.

MOCpages!

Shurtugal
Bailiff

Postby Remyth » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:20 am

I would have to say that I can't think of any thing to descride these with, what me hitting my head falling out of the chair and all :evil: . No, really, these are as absolutely fantastic as I have come to expect from you. Great mixture of LEGO products and custum products.

Thanks a lot,

P.S. I really like the faction!!!
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

Flickr
Remyth
Trade King

Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Postby Lord Nev » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:23 am

Wow. I say again kinda...cool!

I like the Numenor helm! I'll have to aquire some and use them for my Gondor infantry. Pic pending.

I like the differing ranks and how you agve them all discernable qualities.
Keep up the good work!
Beware the day my soul is unleashed. Not even Megablocks itself will rival its fire!
Lord Nev
Reeve

Postby dJOLe_sk8 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:05 am

Great faction work as I mentioned before...
I really like their heraldry, especially lil'lion that you put on windy flag (I've never seen any marks on these flags, pretty cool)...
These Numenorean helms are great, I saw it before (it really looks good in black with wings), and I saw the hlemet that the main knight here wears (first in the order),and here's an opportunity to ask: Where is it coming from?

Great work Recluce, I would really like to see some MOCs with these
Greetings from Serbia
dJOLe_sk8
Artisan

Postby kelderic » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:11 am

Awesome faction. I really like the fact that it has blue in it. Makes no sense, but blue makes everything better, including factions.

Kelderic

P.S. Nice new pic Recluce, almost didn't recognise you.
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Postby Shurtugal » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:00 am

dJOLe_sk8 wrote:Where is it coming from?

Well, the page from CC about the numenorean helms is here, and the knight's helm is a custom one sold by the Little Armory.
~Andrew C.

MOCpages!

Shurtugal
Bailiff

Postby nazgul » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:01 am

Wow, just, wow...
I cannot do anything even remotely near to what is called customizing and not destroying. But all of these are really nice.

And furthermore...
...wow....

-nazgul
"You know the golden rule, He who has the gold makes the rules"
I'm 13.
nazgul
Artisan

Postby El Mariachi » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:28 am

Its cool, but its nothing that I havent seen before. I'll give it a 6/10
"God is dead; but considering the state the species Man is in, there will perhaps be caves, for ages yet, in which his shadow will be shown"

Friederich Nietzsche
El Mariachi
Laborer

Postby Lonan » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:35 am

Your figures look great. And thanks for the explanation of how you did everything. It gives those of us who might try and customize their figs one day a little insight. Excellent work.
Lonan
Foot Soldier

Postby Recluce » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:18 pm

El Mariachi wrote:Its cool, but its nothing that I havent seen before. I'll give it a 6/10
Really? Cause I've never heard of anyone using rub-on decals on figs before.

Lonan and all others who are new to customizing figs, you should check these transfers out. They're very easy to use! And I think they're some of the most lego-like figs I've done. They're not "over done", and even the helmets look like lego helmets.

Thank you all for the wonderful comments.

P.S. A note on the shields.... I made the shields of the knight and squire silver because silver is heraldically the same as white, but these being much more affluent people they would have metal shields. The men at arms would probably have wooden shields that would have been painted white. Just in case anyone was wondering.
Recluce
Landlord

Postby El Mariachi » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:39 pm

Recluce wrote:
El Mariachi wrote:Its cool, but its nothing that I havent seen before. I'll give it a 6/10
Really? Cause I've never heard of anyone using rub-on decals on figs before.

Ok, if it makes you happy I'll give it a 6.1/10. Regular decals would have done the same effect, but if using rub on ones contributes to your happiness who am I to judge?
"God is dead; but considering the state the species Man is in, there will perhaps be caves, for ages yet, in which his shadow will be shown"

Friederich Nietzsche
El Mariachi
Laborer

Next

Return to Castle Customs