Praise for a great builder

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Felix
Serf

Praise for a great builder

Post by Felix »

Hello all,

I don't post much, and I've not written a post of this nature before. But I have had no problem raising my voice when there were things I didn't like. So why not be just as vocal about the things I do like?

Like many of you, I spend a lot of time researching, sketching, and thinking about what I build. Part of the fun for me is the consideration of not only aesthetic design, but functionality and fun. Periodically, I will pour over a particular builder's gallery and try and get inside their head by understanding their building style. I usually seek my own vision, but sometimes I will run across someone elses MOC and think "I've got to have one of those." One builder I frequently find myslef saying this about is Dan Siskind.

Dan is probably best known for having his Blacksmith shop turned into an officially released set. I think this is one of the best decisions the LEGO company ever made. This set gets a number of things right. First off, its a stand alone enclosed structure. You can look at this model from any angle and it looks great. Second, it explores a part of fantasy that is a lot of fun but seldom touched by the company; everday medieval/fantasy life. But my favorite feature has to be the manner in which the fewest number of pieces is employed to bring about maximum effect. The way that the side windows jut from the structure is so simple, yet so elegant. The whole model gives you that feeling that if minifigs could tell you what they wanted their houses to look like, this would be it. For our community, the impact is obvious. Browse brickshelf and you can see how many tudor structures emulate this simple swing-hinged style.

Most recently, I have been studying his castle kit, Vlad's Tower. Again, he is able to get maximum detail into the smallest amount of space. Notice that the castle employs all of the baseplate. The stairs are always placed in a logical fashion so that the minifigs or details will never be too deep to reach. The structure itself is very simple yet elegant in design. The model has just the appropriate studlessness to be visually pleasing yet not overburdened. Getting scale right in LEGO building is very challenging. Minifigs are too squat to compare to the real human form. As a result, our creations have to be adapted to the minifig shape and what seems feasible as far as ratio and space. Dan very cleverly understands these ratios. If the castle were real, clearly it would be small and cramped. Yet at minifig scale it seems just right.

So these are some of the things I have thought as I poured over his gallery. Dan's models are the only ones I have ever tried to copy. Not only because I wanted to understand them, but because they were so cool I just wanted them for myself.

Felix Greco
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Hi Felix,

I could not agree with you more about Dan's creations. They were the ones that really inspired my early tudor creations several years ago. I enjoyed them enough to build his tavern (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=12545) from the photos on www.brickmania.com

Dan's early sets were great examples on how to build Tudor buildings, castles, and churches. So I designed many creations in a similar style: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/BenjaminE

I think the community owes a lot to the builders like Dan, Jon Furman, and James Brink. It is a shame that they are not building much castle anymore.

Since this is a discussion on a builders creations (even though one is an official set) it probably should go in Castle Mocs. I will move it there.

Ben
Gumby
Steward

Post by Gumby »

Great post, Felix.

I think the thing that an experienced builder should strive for is a balance between beauty and playability. I'd argue that Dan Siskind's models are the best looking AND most fun to play with.

Other well-known names in castle include Carney and Itou, but they often lack that "playability" factor, and Carney's castles, while impressive, are too clinical I find. I could probably also mention Jojo in the same breath, but at this rate I dunno if he's better known for his furniture or his displays. :)

Of course if you're building something for display purposes only, I guess there's no need for playability.
-Bryan
Dan
Peasant

Post by Dan »

:oops:

Man, this post is seriously making me blush!
Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Post by Remyth »

Nothing more to say except....KEEP BUILDING DAN! :D I really like your creations, and in fact, your Blacksmith shop is the best LEGO set I ever bought. Good way to spend your allowance and wages.

Thanks,
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]
armothe
Apprentice

Post by armothe »

Dan inspired me to build a bunch of tutor awhile back, circa 1998 or so.

I turned several of the LDraw into actual models but never took pics.
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=3763

-A
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

I have seen his site several times, but it has always been that everything was sold out. The blacksmith shop was amazing though. I picked a few of them up from the Lego catalogue.
Nothing more to say except....KEEP BUILDING DAN!
I can't put it any better this. :D

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
Dan
Peasant

Post by Dan »

kelderic wrote:I have seen his site several times, but it has always been that everything was sold out.
Sorry, been way too busy with work to make any more kits over the last few years. I'm still building for myself and with the kids, but my building time is limited to just a few hours here and there. Glad to hear people still enjoy my work, even so long after I've posted any new photos or models - thanks for rall the kind words!
nazgul
Artisan

Post by nazgul »

I've wanted to buy several sets from you, but I've always been defeted by two things mostly- 1.run out of money and 2.out of stock. But if you're building and enjoying it, keep it up!

my two cents,
-nazgul
"You know the golden rule, He who has the gold makes the rules"
I'm 13.
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Hey Dan,

Welcome to CC! I don't think it's an overstatement to say that we've all been inspired by your Blacksmith shop - that all of the tudor buildings you see in castle displays probably draw on your design to some extent. I've said before that I found it to be a lesson in building. I particularly like the way you varied up the slopes to give an interesting roofline. I hope you stick around here and build some more castle stuff.

For all Dan fans, his site just happens to be one of the options in the CCCL poll I just posted yesterday.

Bruce
[url=http://comicbricks.blogspot.com/]ComicBricks[/url] [url=http://godbricks.blogspot.com/]GodBricks[/url] [url=http://microbricks.blogspot.com/]MicroBricks[/url] [url=http://minilandbricks.blogspot.com/]MinilandBricks[/url] [url=http://scibricks.blogspot.com/]SciBricks[/url] [url=http://vignettebricks.blogspot.com/]VignetteBricks[/url] [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/bricktales/]Brick Tales[/url]
Dan
Peasant

Post by Dan »

For all Dan fans, his site just happens to be one of the options in the CCCL poll I just posted yesterday.

Bruce
Just so happens the firewall is currently being ugraded on my server - apologies if you can't access my web site over the next couple of hours!
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Dan wrote::oops:

Man, this post is seriously making me blush!
Whew! Up until this post, this thread was taking on "celebration of life" (read:funeral) tone. I'm very relieved to find that's not true.

Dan, your work and that of Ed "Boxer" where big influences on me as well as I slowly emerged from my dark age. We were discussing Ed's stuff last week. I wish he would chime in as well. Build on!

Rich
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
The dark tide
Gentleman

Post by The dark tide »

your Blacksmith shop is the best LEGO set I ever bought. Good way to spend your allowance and wages.

Thanks,[/quote]

I totally agree with you. You have done much for the castle community and hopre lego grabs another one of your "sets" to make.
Dan
Peasant

Post by Dan »

I would gladly design more sets if I had the opportunity. As it was, I designed my Blacksmith Shop, Tavern and Country Mill sets in a single 24 hour building marathon. I was in such a hurry to make my first kits that none of the designs went through any of the kind of thorough revision and improvment phases the later kits had, especially the German tanks and Vlad's Tower. If Lego asked for another set, I'd give them a set that's 10 times better than the Blacksmith Shop was. My idea was to offer a complete castle system based on totally modular designs and those first kits were just a warm up. It's all still rolling aorund in my head, but I can not make them at a price point that would be practical. If Lego stepped in, the story would be different, but they don't seem interested in pursuing any further MOC editions.
Gumby
Steward

Post by Gumby »

Dan wrote:If Lego asked for another set, I'd give them a set that's 10 times better than the Blacksmith Shop was.
Is that even possible?! :P It's already one of the highest rated sets on LUGNET...

I think it's cool to be talking to the creator of such a legendary set. :)
-Bryan