Classic-Castle.com

The source for all your LEGO Castle needs!

A slippery situation....

Discussion of general LEGO topics

A slippery situation....

Postby plums_deify » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:55 pm

As some of our members may be aware, the greater Pacific Northwest is currently buried under a layer of ice and snow. (Josh, I feel so sorry for you folks up further north. Stay warm.)

Yesterday, I did not make it home from work. After 2 1/2 hours in which we moved from my work on Willow's RD to 100th, I opted to stay the night at my brothers. He came and rescued me from the car I was in...the people driving did not make it home until Midnight. We left at 6:30.

This morning, my brother brought me back to my car. It was clear which direction the wind was blowing...the driver's side door was frozen shut. But the real treat all around is the thick ice that surrounds and covers everything.

Without further adieu, I present my latest vignette, ICE:

No worries; I didn't fall. :D

To everyone in and around Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and parts of northern California (and anywhere getting snow and ice), stay safe, stay home if possible, light a nice fire, make a cup of hot cocoa, and don't slip on the ice. It hurts. ;)
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Be Smart. Be evil.

Sister Brick @ The Brothers Brick!
plums_deify
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Re: A slippery situation....

Postby wunztwice » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:40 pm

Darkie wrote:As some of our members may be aware, the greater Pacific Northwest is currently buried under a layer of ice and snow. (Josh, I feel so sorry for you folks up further north. Stay warm.)...

To everyone in and around Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and parts of northern California (and anywhere getting snow and ice), stay safe, stay home if possible, light a nice fire, make a cup of hot cocoa, and don't slip on the ice. It hurts. ;)

Thanks Darkie. Yeah, I do know the feeling, and I am vey aware at this time of how snowy it is here.
I love it, and abhor it at the same time. Over here on the Eastern side of Oregon things aren't too terrible
(nothing we havn't dealt with before), but still slick.
My car deals with the weather pretty well (go Subaru!!!), and I've been having a bit of fun with it, but I can relate well to this VIG.
(and now on to the vig...)

Nice work here. It's super simple, but conveys the idea soooo well.
The plate on the bottom of her foot is a "ice" touch (sorry I couldn't resist).

Everyone else up here (and where ever) stay safe in the weather!
Last edited by wunztwice on Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? My Bricklink

My Flickr!
My Brickshelf!(not updated...)
<><
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Postby DARKspawn » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:59 pm

I will trade you ice & snow for dust & heat any day!

Nice vig! Great use of transclear pieces, very effective
DARKspawn
Lord

Postby Athos » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:20 pm

It was actually pretty slippery around here yesterday too. Not a lot of ice, but just enough snow to mess up the roads and travel plans... :roll:

Anyhow, I like the ice.

Steve
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Postby Mike Viper » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:43 pm

exacty how cold? Today we got -17 degrees celcius. nice weather considering how cold it really gets here.

Anyway, this moc looks great. I've seen and particapated the same misfortune many times.
I ow it to wunztwice for directing me here.
Mike Viper
Archer

Location: At home practicing my singing, building, or hanging around with friends.

Re: A slippery situation....

Postby JoshWedin » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:31 am

Cool MOC, Darkie! Love the slippery goodness. :) It reminds me of what I've been doing all day.

Darkie wrote:(Josh, I feel so sorry for you folks up further north. Stay warm.)

Yup, we lost power for 19 hours yesterday and had about a foot of snow. We don't usually get snow like that, so trees were snapping all over the place. Tons of downed powerlines. Spent the night at my folks since we had no heat. :) It kind of came out of nowhere, so many weren't prepared. I know many people get worse weather, but this is unusual for this area.

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

Image The Brothers Brick
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre
Chevalier de Chèvre

Postby The Blue Knight » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:29 am

Love the vig! The clear trans ice is one of those so-obvious-no-one-thought-of-it things. I'm glad to hear you are well.

We are in for an ice storm Thursday morning here in the Portland area. How about Seattle? I live about 45 minutes south and west of the city. We had about an inch of snow and temps in the 20's. It rarely gets that cold here in the western valleys of Oregon. To make it worse, much of our population are transplanted from California in the last 15 years and have no concept of snow except for TV.

Hey Wunz-are you near Burns? I have a client there who said it was -12 last night at his place! Hot cocoa sounds gooood.
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Postby wunztwice » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:48 am

The Blue Knight wrote:Hey Wunz-are you near Burns? I have a client there who said it was -12 last night at his place!

I am, sort of. My home is in John Day, about 60 miles north of Burns. Right now I am at school in La Grande which is roughly 2.5 hours North of John Day. My family said it was about -10 last night, and here in the big LG it was about 13.

Back to the MOC again I was thinking about those new trans-clear baseplates in the mosaic sets and how they could apply to this as well.
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? My Bricklink

My Flickr!
My Brickshelf!(not updated...)
<><
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Postby ottoatm » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:31 am

Wow... I've lived this scenario enough times growing up - the worst part is landing in all that muddy, salty, slush when you fall. :P

Nice little vig... I really like it - the ice is done really well... it's very believable.
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot!
CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Postby rogue27 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:12 pm

Nice simple vignette. I like it.

It also brings back awful memories. In February last year, I slipped on some ice and broke two fingers on my right hand. I couldn't play with LEGO for about a month.
rogue27
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Postby kelderic » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:38 am

Well, as to the Vig, it looks really good. As to the ice, that sucks. I am in the midwest, and while we are still just getting rain, we have snowstorms coming in over the weekend. My prayers go with you.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Postby Dunechaser » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:12 am

Sometimes the simplest MOCs are the best. Great ice, great fig, great vig.

Monday was nasty, with a three-hour (one way) commute. Looks like things are pretty much back to normal in my immediate area. My commute from Seattle to Redmond today didn't take any longer than normal. Phew!
Dunechaser
Councilor

Return to General LEGO