Classic-Castle.com


The source for all your LEGO Castle needs!

Lord of the Rings

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!

Lord of the Rings

Postby Spongey » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:46 pm

Had only LEGO gotten the license for LOTR...

I have recently come up with a list of sets that I hope to one day build, that could have been used by LEGO for LOTR. I'm not sure if this belongs in the Dear LEGO section, but I thought it was the best fit. Tell me what you think.
The first installment: Fellowship of the Ring (Based on the book.)

Moria- approx. 2000 pieces
Rivendell- approx. 900 pieces
Inn of the Prancing Pony- approx. 600 pieces
A Long Expected Party- approx. 450 pieces
Crickhollow- approx. 350 pieces
The Bridge of Khazad-Dum- approx. 300 pieces
Weathertop- approx. 300 pieces
Lothlorien- approx. 250 pieces
Ford of Bruinen- approx. 150 pieces
Farmer Maggot's Cart- approx. 80 pieces
Old Man Willow- approx. 80 pieces
Orcs- 5 fully armed orcs from Moria. (fig pack.)
Image
User avatar
Spongey
Merchant
 
Posts: 1377
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:39 pm
Location: Canada

Postby RichardAM » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:39 pm

LOTR is certainly a lucrative license, and if Lego did acquire it, you could bet it would cost lots of money. The way I see it currently, I think Lego is currently drowning in the amount of licenses, and with Star Wars being a major fixture, I don't think there's room for another major license. Put simply, I think it would be the death of "conventional" Lego.

I know at the sametime though, it is a line i'd like to see, particularly because of the heavy focus on medieval and castle sets. Maybe after Castle 2007 however, Lego could go down a similar angle to that of LOTR?

Conventionally it would be the age old rule of "good versus evil", but the idea of one incredible adventure is irresistible and of course would mean for more sets. I know in regards recently to KKII not a lot of AFOLs like storylines with their Lego, but if managed with a storyline that was as universal as that of LOTR (or Harry Potter even) it could appeal to all fans.
artificial snow

-richard-am.net /lego-
Image Image
User avatar
RichardAM
Merchant
 
Posts: 1258
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:23 pm

Postby kelderic » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:27 pm

I wish they had done LOTR instead of Harry Potter. So many things could be made...*sighs*

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
User avatar
kelderic
Knight Bannerett
 
Posts: 2583
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 8:45 pm
Location: Indiana, USA

Postby Aragornn45 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:54 am

kelderic wrote:I wish they had done LOTR instead of Harry Potter. So many things could be made...*sighs*



I agree, but we can only dream at this point :D.
User avatar
Aragornn45
Foot Soldier
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:05 am
Location: Washington State

Postby Prince Imdol » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:20 am

What we need, is a good Osgiliath set.
User avatar
Prince Imdol
Master
 
Posts: 1762
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:11 am
Location: Massachusetts

Postby DARKspawn » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:51 am

I guess the real question is, "do we need LEGO to pick up such a licence?" Looking at the range of pieces at our disposal & many of the fantastic LOTR MOCs I have seen, I think not.

Seeing as the movies are long gone I doubt LEGO would risk it personally.
User avatar
DARKspawn
Lord
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:29 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Postby Maedhros » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:54 am

DARKspawn wrote:I guess the real question is, "do we need LEGO to pick up such a licence?" Looking at the range of pieces at our disposal & many of the fantastic LOTR MOCs I have seen, I think not.


My thoughts exactly...

OTOH it would have given me an Orlando Bloom fig as food for my dragons and whatnot :twisted:
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
User avatar
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:22 pm
Location: The dark forests of Sweden

Postby Lordje. » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:00 pm

Tolkien would turn in his grave, his masterwork a children's toy?! =P

DARKspawn wrote:I guess the real question is, "do we need LEGO to pick up such a licence?" Looking at the range of pieces at our disposal & many of the fantastic LOTR MOCs I have seen, I think not.


And it's a wonderfull exercise in being creative.

-Lordje.
Lordje.
Gong Farmer
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:46 pm
Location: Belgium

Postby Sir Kohran » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:40 pm

Tolkien would turn in his grave, his masterwork a children's toy?!


Technically, Tolkien's 'masterwork' started out as a children's toy - he told The Hobbit as a new kind of fairy tale to his own children at home.

As to LOTR...

..yes, it would have been utterly brilliant as a Lego line.

But I think it would have killed Castle as a Lego line. Why? Well, look at most of the great Castle stuff on Brickshelf. It's almost all improvised and created from peoples' personal collections from all different ranges of official sets. People have a limited amount of stuff to work with and so they have to be more thoughtful and creative in how they build. This usually produces higher quality MOCs as more thought and effort has gone into them. But if we had LOTR, almost everything would be taken for granted - if we needed an opening and closing gate most people wouldn't build their own but just take the official one out of the Hornburg set and use that. People who wanted to build monsters wouldn't need to try out other Lego themes for evil heads any more because the Uruk Hai heads would be instantly available. No-one would need to build their own dragon; they'd just use the Fellbeasts. Basically, most builders wouldn't build any more, they'd just assemble different LOTR parts.

Also, I think LOTR has had a positive influence anyway. The release of Fellowship of the Ring put focus back on swords and sorcery and knights and castles, and so gave the previously ailing Lego Castle theme a massive interest boost. It worked officially, too - we got KKII just after ROTK, and now the new 2007 Castle line, both of which are prety obviously modelled on LOTR. So I think things turned out fairly well.

- Matt
User avatar
Sir Kohran
Sheriff
 
Posts: 1567
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:24 am

Postby JPinoy » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:10 am

IMO, the only way they can get an LOTR line is if they cut off ties with Lucas and instead worked along with Peter Jackson, or the Tolkein estate.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=PeoplesGeneral
User avatar
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett
 
Posts: 2476
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:04 pm
Location: Rockefeller Center LEGO Store

Postby davee123 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:19 am

From the rumor department, Lego was offered and turned down the LOTR movie license, which is why you saw all those "intelliblox" LOTR sets instead of Lego. From what I heard, Lego didn't want the license because it was too violent and adult for them.

I didn't hear anything about it conflicting with the KK2 line, but that may have been a concern too, I'm not sure.

DaveE
davee123
Knower of the Doin's
Knower of the Doin's
 
Posts: 480
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:07 pm
Location: Massachusetts, USA

Postby supernova » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:36 am

Sir Kohran wrote:I think it would have killed Castle as a Lego line.... almost everything would be taken for granted - if we needed an opening and closing gate most people wouldn't build their own but just take the official one out of the Hornburg set and use that .... Basically, most builders wouldn't build any more, they'd just assemble different LOTR parts.


while i disagree that lego should get a license with say LOTR (mainly because the prices of castle lego would go up and no1 likes that do they :)), i disagree with this point. Look at star wars: SW is exactly like LOTR in the way that the buildings/vehicles etc are pre-defined by the movie/books/media. however, we still see many SW mocs, making lego creations more like the movie etc.

and the appearance of SW didn't kill classic space: there is a (large?) group of space enthusiasts who still build their own space stuff - just look at the MOCs on brickshelf or MOCpages

my main problem with the license is, as i mentioned, an increase in prices for the lego set. the benefit is not that big, as I don't foresee lego giving us army-building packs (probably like the SW license), nor will lego build a BIG castle/town from LOTR. we might, however, get some interesting official parts for orcs and stuff, but i think lego still can do that without ever getting the license :)
~~ Supernova ~~

Good trades with: Chrislad77, kelderic, Strider, Unknown Knight and ZIGGY!
User avatar
supernova
Journeyman
 
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:48 pm
Location: London, UK

Postby Kev » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:37 pm

Waaay back when Jake Mckee was doing his Q&A's or "community relation" stuff with fans, he specifically said that LOTR was too mature for Lego, that it was targeted with themes and violence at a teenage (at least) level whereas lego was firmly targeted towards 6-8 year olds.

So didn't happen, not gonna happen. However, if/when someone gets around to the Hobbit, depending on how they handle the movie, I could see lego picking it up as a long shot.
User avatar
Kev
Bailiff
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:21 pm

Postby Maedhros » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:07 pm

Kev wrote:Waaay back when Jake Mckee was doing his Q&A's or "community relation" stuff with fans, he specifically said that LOTR was too mature for Lego, that it was targeted with themes and violence at a teenage (at least) level whereas lego was firmly targeted towards 6-8 year olds.


And Star Wars is less violent? :shock: And soon they are reaching that "mature" point in Harry Potter as well (and they got past the 6-8 year stage there long ago....)

I´m still glad they didn´t do LOTR (or LR for the nerds :P) though.. I just don´t really understand that argument...
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
User avatar
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:22 pm
Location: The dark forests of Sweden

Postby Spongey » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:44 pm

Now that I've started a good debate, I just wanted to go back to my original post, and see what you think of the set ideas, since they may become MOCs one day. Thanks.
Image
User avatar
Spongey
Merchant
 
Posts: 1377
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:39 pm
Location: Canada

Next

Return to Dear LEGO

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests