Castle MOCs done in the style of official LEGO sets?

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Walruslord
Serf

Castle MOCs done in the style of official LEGO sets?

Post by Walruslord »

I love looking at big castles, in fact, looking at the hyper-realistic creations some people make has pulled me out of my so-called "dark age" (I'm new to this whole AFOL thing :D ).

However, when I was younger, I loved to make MOCs that were very similar in building "style" to the standard lego sets, ie similar tower elements, similar scale, lots of goofy things like ghosts popping out of turrets and flex-walls with the standard 1x2 bricks and two stud wide platforms. The type of castle that you could imagine TLC selling as their own product, in a massive 200$ set if they ever lost their mind. (Or got it back, depending on how you look at it I guess).

Does anyone do this kind of building, but at the ridiculously awesome scope some of the larger MOCs I've seen? Even the CC standard (while cool) is a little removed from this style.
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Re: Castle MOCs done in the style of official LEGO sets?

Post by Blueandwhite »

Walruslord wrote:I love looking at big castles, in fact, looking at the hyper-realistic creations some people make has pulled me out of my so-called "dark age" (I'm new to this whole AFOL thing :D ).

However, when I was younger, I loved to make MOCs that were very similar in building "style" to the standard lego sets, ie similar tower elements, similar scale, lots of goofy things like ghosts popping out of turrets and flex-walls with the standard 1x2 bricks and two stud wide platforms. The type of castle that you could imagine TLC selling as their own product, in a massive 200$ set if they ever lost their mind. (Or got it back, depending on how you look at it I guess).

Does anyone do this kind of building, but at the ridiculously awesome scope some of the larger MOCs I've seen? Even the CC standard (while cool) is a little removed from this style.
A number of builders create MOCs in this style. You just have to look a bit more carefully as they may not immediately pop out on Brickshelf.

James Brink's MOCs are a great example, as areBen Ellerman's amazing classic-castle designs.

Perhaps the best examples are made by Jon Furman. Both his Modular Castle Designs, and his Provincial Village capture the essence of what makes those old sets so wonderful.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
LORD DOOM
Master of Brickwankery

Post by LORD DOOM »

Hey Guy. :3

Welcome to the CCF, I see that this is you first post. :)

Actually, for years before I descovered such a massive AFOL database online and descovered some of the rediculously realistic and atonishing MOC's of some of the "master builders", I devised many of my castle creations based off of official castle creations, my favorite style was to do contrasting black and grey castles similar to that of the Dungeon Master's Castle or the Black Monarch's Castle. I also love to create elaborate tree-fortresses in the style of the Forestmen. I always loved to create bigger "better" castles or more elaborate castles and strongholds based solely on actual Lego© sets and I still do to this day, when I aquired two newer sets, Vladek's Dark Fortress and the Mistlands Tower I did the same thing, created my own palace/castles in corresponding styles. It's a great way to work if you want to be able to build fairly large-scale and "Improve" (Too the extent of your own style) without having to design totally original castle concepts. I must admit I've probably done it TOO MUCH. Although I don't have any pictures of any of my recent MOC's online yet, being only a few weeks old as a registered CCer I'm sure in the near future you'll be seeing my MOC's both tried and true to many of the original castle lines as well as unique works based on my own ever-expanding impressions of what's an eye-catching funtional castle or fortress. I totally know where you're coming from and I look forward to seeing your work if and when you get it posted. There's also several MOC's I've located by browsing Brickshelf or here on the CCF that if you'd like I can hunt down some URL's for and post 'em. :D I know I kinda ranted there, but you're a man after my own heart, so I felt inclined to do so. :)
The dark tide
Gentleman

Post by The dark tide »

I like looking at the ones other people do but it doesn't interest me mutch to do it myself. I prefer to make the MOCs look realistic.
"The sky grows black...shadow falls...the Dark Tide comes..."

[Edgar J.]
Bricksidge
Philosopher-King of the Gong Farmers

Post by Bricksidge »

The links provided by BlueandWhite give a good idea of the scale BenE has been trying to describe in the Castle Contest thread.
~[url=http://www.neutronbot.com/kevin/]Kevin Blocksidge[/url]
Norro
Councilor

Post by Norro »

Welcome!

It isn't castle but Brick Miner from Eurobricks is attempting to fill out the lego wild west line up, while staying true to lego piece counts/building style:
Moc Page summary here

God Bless,

Nathan
Walruslord
Serf

Post by Walruslord »

Great links, thanks.

I have to say, Black Knight's castle and Black Monarch's castle are the base sets for most of my fiddling around. Great sets, and I'm glad I got them on the tail end of my childhood. I'll throw up some of my stuff here in a little bit, you can tell the influence from that period of LEGO. Raised baseplates are the best!

As for the castle contest, I'm pretty excited about it because it seems like I might have a chance given the style, and at the least I will get to see a bunch of stuff done in a style more in line with my own way of doing things. Much better for me than 10,000 light gray brick masterpieces, when my collection is mostly black castle walls :D
plucky
Laborer

Post by plucky »

Here's a pic from the olden days that Ben E. was nice enough to dig up that you might want to check out.

http://www.classic-castle.com/bene/bric ... _v1_03.JPG

-plucky
Walruslord
Serf

Post by Walruslord »

plucky wrote:Here's a pic from the olden days that Ben E. was nice enough to dig up that you might want to check out.

http://www.classic-castle.com/bene/bric ... _v1_03.JPG

-plucky

I had whatever that story was printed in when I was a kid. I just remember being " :shock: " at the huge castle.