Things you did with your Lego when you were younger...

Discussion of general LEGO topics
RichardAM
Merchant

Things you did with your Lego when you were younger...

Post by RichardAM »

...that you wish you hadn't? :(

•I used to take all the Indigo Islanders outside and create swamps in the wet grass.
•I frequently put my Adventurers in sandpiles pretending they were looking for treasure.
•My RockRaiders were always in mud.
•I coloured in my skeletons. For some reason I decided they'd look better if they had blood on them. :roll:

Anyone else want to share stories of what they subjected their Lego to when they were younger that now they completely wish they hadn't? :?
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

Those stickers from that old idea book, I had 3, & my bricks suffered badly... What the heck did they make that glue out of? I still have elements today that have those stickers intact :lol:

I guess building things & smashing them mercilessly was the worst thing I can think of ;) Somtimes my spacecraft used to journey to "the Outer Side" But I was always careful not to loose anything!
kingkastle
Laborer

Post by kingkastle »

Painting bricks to whatever color I thought I needed for my mocs would be One of the many tortures I devised as a child. I even painted about half of my origional euro armors (thank goodness for Bricklink and Ebay). Then there was actually breaking 1xn plates into what ever smaller sized 1xn plate I needed. Safe to say that has all been put a stop to long long ago.
well I would at least like to think that I'm evil...
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

I took most of my old sets apart for easier access to the parts. Now most of them are scattered beyond repair :(

- Matt
RichardAM
Merchant

Post by RichardAM »

kingkastle wrote:Then there was actually breaking 1xn plates into what ever smaller sized 1xn plate I needed. Safe to say that has all been put a stop to long long ago.
My cousins on regular occasions cut their baseplates in half. When you're wanting to rebuild models and can't find the pieces as Kohran notes, it can be tempting sometimes to do something similar yourself. :roll:

I forgot entirely about stickers too. I've stopped putting the stickers on any sets I buy unless I think they're absolutely necessary, but now in my collection i've got hundreds of bricks with stickers that are near fallen-off.
Danju the Clever
Artisan

Post by Danju the Clever »

Sir Kohran wrote:I took most of my old sets apart for easier access to the parts. Now most of them are scattered beyond repair :(

- Matt
You too? I feel you pain, pal...
May my beloved Black Seas Barracuda and Black Monarch's Castle rest in peices.
Last edited by Danju the Clever on Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

I used to build ships and then take them in the bathtub with me. It didn't really hurt anything and it was amazing how long a brick built ship will float. It was a lot of fun...hmm...maybe I should do that again sometime. I wonder how long a Viking Longship would float?

Josh (who is off to get in the tub with a modified 7018) :D
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Recluce
Landlord

Post by Recluce »

JoshWedin wrote:I used to build ships and then take them in the bathtub with me. It didn't really hurt anything and it was amazing how long a brick built ship will float. It was a lot of fun...hmm...maybe I should do that again sometime. I wonder how long a Viking Longship would float?

Josh (who is off to get in the tub with a modified 7018) :D
I did that all the time, and is my chief complaint of using stickers now.... kids won't be able to have the fun I did without damaging their sets.
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

Danju the Clever wrote:
Sir Kohran wrote:I took most of my old sets apart for easier access to the parts. Now most of them are scattered beyond repair :(

- Matt
You too? I feel you pain, pal...
I as well did this. Also, I would play soccer with a nerf ball with my father, in the same place that I had a Red Beard Runner, my prized LEGO at the time... you fill in the blanks. I also lost a couple of pieces that I really wish I hadn't, namely my only Hedwig, and my only chrome silver greatsword. :cry:
J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

I treated my bricks really well as a kid: I even sorted them, to some degree! I didn't realize that leaving them in the sun could discolour them, so I have a lot of bricks (especially white) that are very discoloured. Often these had been build into a set, so half the plate is fine and half is discoloured.

What I regret most is writing on many of my older catalogues. I'd mark off all the sets I had at that time, and then put another mark near all the ones I wanted. This basically ended up with 95% of the sets marked, naturally. :wink:

I also didn't keep the instructions & catalogues as nicely as I should have: There's some that have rips, tears, etc.

-John L.
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

J1A3L5 wrote:I didn't realize that leaving them in the sun could discolour them, so I have a lot of bricks (especially white) that are very discoloured. Often these had been build into a set, so half the plate is fine and half is discoloured.
Same here - most of the damage was done to my old light grey :(
J1A3L5 wrote:I also didn't keep the instructions & catalogues as nicely as I should have: There's some that have rips, tears, etc.
Actually my mum was really good with the instructions & pasted them all into scrap books! All my instructions & many catalogues from the late 70's & 80's are still very much intact, although glued to a scrap book :lol:

Thanks Mum! <3 She still provides me with Dacta catalogues
Jansen
Steward
Location: Pondering the paradox of organic American cheese...

Post by Jansen »

When I was about 5-8 yrs. old, I would do the following:
1) cut baseplates into smaller ones
2) paint bricks
3)cut 1x? into smaller 1x?
I also put boats in the tub but I don't regret that :D ! I used to make aqua bases, weigh them down, and act like the tub was the ocean! It was sweet!

P.S. Josh, I sailed the Viking ship and its awesome!
"An apple a day keeps people deathly-allergic to apples away."
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/gusalagupagoo/]flickr[/url]
Rubberchickenknight
Squire

Post by Rubberchickenknight »

I still scatter my sets around! :wink: I'm the most disorganized person in the world. I also left bricks in the sun, most of my silver greatswords have the chrome rubbed off, and I lost most of my stickers.

And sadly, all my instructions were lost in a flood a few years ago. :cry:
"When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always wins." - Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

I put my lego men against my little toy clockwork robot. but suprisingly sometimes they won!
Dunechaser
Councilor

Post by Dunechaser »

The horror, the horror...

I was reasonably gentle with all my bricks, and was quite the pack-rat when it came to catalogs and instructions. Back then, I even cut up boxes that I throw away today so I could save pictures of the "inspirational" models.

However, like John, nearly all of my old white and old light gray bricks have yellowed with age. I also did a bit of painting, of both accessories and minifigs (yes, that's a white Classic Space minifig painted as a skeleton).
-Andrew B.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunechaser/]Flickr[/url] | [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com/]The Brothers Brick[/url]