my first new castle (Castle of Morcia)

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
mikal
Gong Farmer

my first new castle (Castle of Morcia)

Post by mikal »

i got the castle of morcia....itz pretty kooooooo :)

wut kind of castle u got?
Dragon Master
Merchant

Re: my first new castle

Post by Dragon Master »

-deleted-

"Koooooooo"
Last edited by Dragon Master on Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

very handy actually.
i had come here with the intension of asking for a review of the castle.
what do you think of it? It looks a smidge too airy for me but it is definately nicer looking than king leo's junk pile. : )

also, has anyone noticed lego seems to shy away from solid gates and draw bridges lately? both this big castle and king leo's didnt have a solid gate and no real drawbridge.

I really think this trend started with royal knight's castle though. It was the first 'big' castle not to have a frontal drawbridge. Then again this was actually kinda cool. creative. The wobbly tower was crab, but you must admit the large wooden doors, blue roof sections and gargoyles made for an impressive facade.

ok end ramble : )
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I'm not entirely sure, and I hope to be corrected if I'm wrong, but I think that Mikal is asking what Castles we own.

If that's the case, allow me to post my list:

6081 King's Mountain Fortress (my first, and beautiful set to my impressionable mind).
6090 Royal Knight's Castle (the biggest Castle set yet, and at one time my favourite of all Lego. Still in the top three, despite certain structural problems mentioned by timbre-wolf.)
10039/6074 Black Falcon's Fortress. (I own the 10039 version, of course, the other being older than I am. I never owned it long enough to REALLY get a feel for it, but it was the most defendable, if the smallest of my three castles, and had perhaps the highest percentage of MOC-useful pieces for me of the three.)

All of these are incorporated, in part, into the sole castle I currently own, a MOC (no pics, and its being re-tooled).

I'd love to have more of the official castles, especially 6086, but Morcia is at the bottom of the list. Between bley and a crappy design, I doubt if I'd bother making it should I get my hands on it. Although i do think it actually beats King Leo's castle for design. If only it weren't in bley....
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Actually, I would buy multiples of Castle Morcia, for the parts if it wasn't bley :cry: Yeah, yeah, some of you will be thinking (or screaming audibly at your monitor) "Get over it!" I wasn't doing too bad until I mixed the few light bley pieces I have in with my large collection of classic light grey....I do not like the look of it :evil:
Troy T. Moore
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

was there ever a verdict on lego giving us bulk packs of old grey?

I know jake had mentioned it but am not sure if i final decision was ever reached. Seems to me lego could make a ton of money off of us AFOLs that way. I'd be ready to drop about 50 righ toff the bat. My last MOC just clobbered my grey.......sigh

ok not to switch topics in the middle of a post but......i'm going to switch topic in the middle of a post. : )
Just wanted to make another comment about toyal knight's castle. You know everyone mentions the wobbly tower, but what REALLY bugged me about this set was the skinny gatehouse! looks great from the front but..... : )

anyway, later all
Draygen
Artisan

Post by Draygen »

I'd had quite a few castles in my day, but only 2 that still exist as they should.

Black Knights Castle
Morcia Castle

Previously had:
King Leo's
Dragon Fortress
Black Falcon's Fortress

Morcia Castle is pretty nice all and all. Only HUGE gripe I have is there's no real way into the castle. SUre you have the bridge, but there's no stairs leading up to the main entrance. What are the knights supposed to do? Jump 8ft in 50lbs of armor?
Dreams are only unrealized realities.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

timber_wolf899 wrote:was there ever a verdict on lego giving us bulk packs of old grey?

I know jake had mentioned it but am not sure if i final decision was ever reached.
Yes they did. Those bulk packs have been available for months.

Item#: 10145 Assorted Light Grey Bricks
Item#: 10146 Assorted Dark Grey Bricks
Item#: 10147 Assorted Brown Bricks
Item#: 10148 Assorted Light Grey Plates
Item#: 10149 Assorted Dark Grey Plates
Item#: 10150 Assorted Brown Plates

All of these items are still available and are still old greys. I am sure we will see the end of them soon. It is my understanding that the item numbers will retire when the bulk packs sell out.

As to Morcica, even if it were old greys I still wouldn't be impressed. 6090 was the last decent castle and it was lacking as others have mentioned. It also had no euro armor and a knight with a pointed visor so that was a mistake. I buy a used one of these before I'd shell out for Morcica though.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Jojo
Master

Re: my first new castle

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

mikal wrote:wut kind of castle u got?
So you do have something I do not have. Besides this I have got all kind of castle.

timber_wolf899 wrote:also, has anyone noticed lego seems to shy away from solid gates and draw bridges lately? both this big castle and king leo's didnt have a solid gate and no real drawbridge.
I really think this trend started with royal knight's castle though. It was the first 'big' castle not to have a frontal drawbridge.
I noticed that, too. Well, King Leo's Castle 6098/1 at least had kind of a draw bridge but not a working one. I wonder, though, why the "Playability" shifted from a reasonable working drawbridge (like in the castles from the Legoland era including 6086) to this pretty senseless Robberer-bombs-loosefitting-towers-with-an-anachronistic-connonlike-thing-function?

I didn't miss the frontal draw bridge on the Royal Knights' Castle 6090. Not every castle has one, only if it has a moat or something like that around it. And a draw bridge is actually meant to be a _bridge_, not a door that closes the gate. The only set that had a correct gate is King's Mountain Fortress 6081 because it has doors _and_ a draw bridge.

Troy T. Moore wrote:Actually, I would buy multiples of Castle Morcia, for the parts if it wasn't bley Yeah, yeah, some of you will be thinking (or screaming audibly at your monitor) "Get over it!" I wasn't doing too bad until I mixed the few light bley pieces I have in with my large collection of classic light grey....I do not like the look of it
You hit the nail on the head.

Draygen wrote:I'd had quite a few castles in my day, but only 2 that still exist as they should. (...) Previously had: (...)
What do you mean with "previously had"? As long as you still have all the pieces and the instructions you can legitimately claim you own these sets.

timber_wolf899 again wrote:was there ever a verdict on lego giving us bulk packs of old grey?
As soon as the old-grey bulk packs mentioned by wlister are sold out there will no bulk pack with old-grey be released ever. That's what I understood. Still old-grey is available in Pick-a-Brick walls and through Shop-at-Home of which two options the PABs are the less expensive source.

Oh, and by the way: Did anybody else notice the light grey round part of the 2x2 turntables ( Image ) are still old light grey in The Grand Tournament 8779? My copy came with old ones. (And I do not at all complain about it. I just noted.)

Bye
Jojo

Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

timber_wolf899 wrote:was there ever a verdict on lego giving us bulk packs of old grey?

I know jake had mentioned it but am not sure if i final decision was ever reached. Seems to me lego could make a ton of money off of us AFOLs that way. I'd be ready to drop about 50 righ toff the bat. My last MOC just clobbered my grey.......sigh
Personally, I have enough old grey that I can build decently large (although not enormous) MOCs. I am reasonably content. For this reason, I'd like to see bley bulk packs rather than grey. Unlike grey, I can't build anything with the handful of pieces I own in bley. And since a colour change back is unlikely, it makes sense to stock up on bley.

Well, it makes sense for me. I don't build in 8-stud walls or anything, and I tend to have two or three MOCs standing at one time, so I can get away with two greys.

[quote='timber_wolf899"]ok not to switch topics in the middle of a post but......i'm going to switch topic in the middle of a post. : ) [/quote]

As far as I can tell, we don't know what the REAL topic of this particular topic is, so I don't think that's a problem. :D
Sir Vincent
Steward

Post by Sir Vincent »

What castles do I own eh?

King Leo's castle...*destroyed*

Ultimate Black Falcons Fortress...*it's ultimate because I added more walls and more soliders except my new ones don't get along with my old ones*

That's it...since any other castle I have was made by me...and those are tan...because I have very few grays and I am unable to obtain more...
mikal
Gong Farmer

Post by mikal »

what is the best castle?
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Re: .

Post by Formendacil »

mikal wrote:what is the best castle?
1st: 6086
2nd: 6090
3rd: 375/6075

That's my opinion. Regardless of what that Lion-loving Black Falcon thinks (Jojo!) :D
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Hi Mikal,

Welcome to Classic-Castle. I do not own the Castle of Morcia yet so I can not review it properly. I also do not own 375 Yellow Castle, but I have the rest.

I agree with Jojo that 6080 King's Castle is the best, but I also understand that everyone has their preferences. Many people like 6086 Dungeon Masters Castle.

Ben E.
CC Sets Admin