Hi!

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
swordmaster2690
Gong Farmer

Hi!

Post by swordmaster2690 »

I know that this is a stupid question :oops: , but what is the best way to make a castle?

thanks,
swordmaster
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

Wow - that's a loaded question, and it's a actually a pretty good one. I would break it down this way.

I. What options are avalible to you considering the size of your Lego collection?
A. If you deem that your collection is not adequate, what purchaces would you be willing to make?
II. What kind of castle do you want to make? A small keep, or a walled city the size of your room?
III. Get an idea what you want your project to look like in the end. If you are really into it, get some lego graph paper and draw it out.
IV. Start building. Remember to take into consideration interior details, window design, landscaping, etc. Stumped on an area? Look in a good book for inspiration or take a look at the helpful how-to articles provided on this site.
V. Make your project an enjoyable one. Expiriment. Try to find unique ways to overcome obsticles.

Building a Castle MOC is a unique expirience. There is no one way to do it. Do what you want to do and as you build more, you will gain more experience. Don't try to compare your first project to Tony's Ulmaris Castle for example.

Above all have fun! :D
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

Masterfully said, lemon squeezer! The Lego graph paper is certainly very handy!

Swordmaster, I recommend dedicating a whole medium or small room if you are willing to embark on a large scale Lego project. This will keep all your Lego resources in one place, and stop the loss of details. That's if you can, of course. I certainly can't, but it has always been my dream to get a Lego room, where everything is dedicated to Lego building.
Graynar
Gentleman

Post by Graynar »

I would advise being organized. I dislike it when I lose or can not find pieces I need. Plus, it's anoying having a piece you need in the wrong color.

I start off buy sorting the colors and pieces I think I'll use. But I'm sure there are better ways.

Graynar
Tanotrooper
Gentleman

Post by Tanotrooper »

Nick wrote:Masterfully said, lemon squeezer! The Lego graph paper is certainly very handy!

Swordmaster, I recommend dedicating a whole medium or small room if you are willing to embark on a large scale Lego project. This will keep all your Lego resources in one place, and stop the loss of details. That's if you can, of course. I certainly can't, but it has always been my dream to get a Lego room, where everything is dedicated to Lego building.
One day, we will all have our lego room...

Well, my mom said once that i was gonna get the half of our loft for my lego's... when our loft is finished :D
my brickshelf gallery:
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Tanotrooper[/url]

Please take a look at my TTfigs:
[url]http://www.classic-castle.com/forum/viewtop ... 7&start=15[/url]
swordmaster2690
Gong Farmer

ok

Thanks guys, I'll try my best!

Swordmaster
wizardnoob28
Apprentice

Post by wizardnoob28 »

try to collect a lot of 1x4 and 2x4 bricks. these can become invaluable in creating a castle. also, look around either here or at brickshelf. It is always a great idea to have some inpiration.
Cyclonis
Bailiff

Post by Cyclonis »

...and before you start, if you'd like to purchase a bulk load of bricks in any shape, size or colour, then I suggest having a look at http://www.bricklink.com/, the unofficial online lego marketplace :wink:
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

Also, large wall pieces are quite valuable in castle building, the ones with a window:
swordmaster2690
Gong Farmer

thanks!