What is the state of your collection?

Discussion of general LEGO topics
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

You don't build nearly enough to deserve all that. :wink:

Mine is mostly sorted, now by type of part. I too will get some pictures soon.
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Ser Loktar wrote:It seems all of us have to get off our butts this summer and organize some lego.
Rather, we need to get onour butts and sort. I never got things set in order after NWBC last year, then I was so bust with work and helping with BrickFest this year, that I barely got one thing built! Now I have two cons, a Christmas, and a birthday's worth of sorting to do. I favor the Sterilite clear drawer system, and the tackel boxes arrangement. Seems pretty standard. Go to Dr. Carney's site to see his method. It's, well, wow.
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

The state of my collection is GROWING!
Right now I have ALL subsections of my collection written into my "ORIGIN" theme.

I have them organized into:

Kahilawayans

Maharlika (multiple galaxies)
-Kaharian
-Mangatiwala

planet Earth

Edains (antedeluvians)
-Dakila
-Qi
-Ma'at
-Ary
-Coatl

Historical Civilizations (timelines)
-Classical/Ancient
-Medieval
-Colonial
-Industrial
-Great Wars
-Modern
-Post-Modern
-Third Age

Worlds (civilizations of other worlds & galaxies)

planets (mulitple planetary systems)
-Sil'Agver empires

planet Drava
-Ergia
-Mollari
-Noctus

planet Kandu
-Kokuni
-Nygwa
-Mosinzi

planet (unknown)
-Hsyaha

planet Marichai
-T'Kosha
-Jivora
-Feroa

planet Kratyk
-Kratyks (tribes)

---------

galaxy Eaos
-Eaossai

galaxy (unknown)
-"Horde"
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
The_Hun
Laborer

Post by The_Hun »

My favourite "old" sets (Forestmen and Wolfpack) are stored assembled, in large ziplock bags, inside cardboard boxes. These I don't use for MOCing.

My other sets, loose bricks and accessories (MOC fodder) are sorted by type and colour into tackle boxes and larger plastic boxes depending on size and quantity.

My minifigs and horses are in individual ziplock bags inside a metal box, except for my Dark Army, who are ready for display, standing on 8x16 bricks fully assembled, but also in cardboard boxes so that they don't get dusty.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=The_Hun]My Bricklink[/url] * [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=TheHun]My Brickshelf[/url]
g2
Sir Postsalot

Post by g2 »

SavaTheAggie wrote:A tempest sea of plastic and dreams, swirling and crashing against the shores of reality, pulling in all around who would gaze upon its splendor and releasing only those strongly affixed to the world around it. Unobtainable, undeniable, undefinable, it defies categorization and any organization. It is, it was, and ever shall be.
Absolutely hilarious - I'm still laughing (after reading it for this for the third time)....this reminds me a bit of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", for those of you who know what I am talking about.

.....still laughing.

Now to stay on the topic.

I have my collection stored as follows.

1. Minifigs are stored in small to medium sized plastic tubs.
2. MOCs are currently stored in larger tubs, but are looking for some shelf space to live on.
3. Lego sets are stored assembled (or partially assembled) in bigger plastic tubs.
4. Loose pieces are stored in small plastic drawers.
BreadMan
Archer

Post by BreadMan »

Dr. J
Steward

Post by Dr. J »

Well, duh! I forgot about my minifigs.

I keep them all in a LEGO tub with their accesories. no really organization there.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Dr-J]My Brickshelf; come on in and take your shoes off![/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerng/]My Flickr; wipe your feet at the door and wash your hands.[/url]
<><
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

My sorting system is in the state called ”Confusion“. That means, everybody who is not me (most people ain’t) would be very confused about it. Naturally, since I sorted it, I know exactly where everything is. Most of the time. The oldest parts of my sorting system are bins that my mother bought in about 1982 and they are still in use. Back than my whole collection would fit into them…

This is where most of my loose parts are, sorted by form, not by colour, using different kinds of boxes and bins, mostly original Lego boxes:

Only kind of bricks sorted by form AND colour are my grey bricks. And all green bricks are in one box regardless of form:

The Shop-at-Home cardboard boxes contain assembled sets, boxed sets, MISB sets:
Image Image

Other portions of my set collection are a corner full with Basic sets:

And the top of my wardrobe filled with boxed Castle sets:
Image Image

(I know, that’s bragging. Sorry.)

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
leaf_of_lire
Reeve

Post by leaf_of_lire »

Jojo wrote:Hello!

Image Image

Bye
Jojo
I'm jealous of you JoJo, very jealous... If only I bought some of those sets... I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones here.
Legendary_Corsair
Archer

Post by Legendary_Corsair »

Yea He has quiet a collection,wonder if hes going to organize all that,he has enough pieces to fill a house from my point of view.

Well I'll be getting some shelfs in soon then I'll take some pics and post 'em somewhere.
I am.......a....Future Legend
aaronsneary
Peasant

Post by aaronsneary »

Slovenly pigs! You make me feel like Felix Ungar.

A few descriptions have come close to describing my system of 4 years ago. Now, I am a masterwork of sorting perfection. "A place for everything, and everything in it's place." is my motto.

I have 20 Stack-On brand hardware organizers plus twelve 3 drawer desk organizers and 4 large 3 drawer office organizers for the detail pieces, all mounted to the walls above my two 5' long building tables, arranged in an 'L'.
Below the tables are 7 three-drawer rolling carts filled with the basic bricks and plates.

In the middle of the room, I have a custom built display/building table, with shelves and slots for more storage. This holds 8 tackle boxes for minifig parts and accessories, 8 shoe-box sized rubbermaid containers for wings, click hinges, and modified plates and big tiles. There are also 20+ sandwich-sized gladware containers for doors, windows, orange overstock, translucent bricks, and weird things like propellers, duplo letter tiles, etc. Plus four large pencil boxes with fences, 1x1 mosaic plates, 2x2x2 and 2x2x3 containers, and boat parts.

Nearby are three more plastic carts for technic bricks, plates, odd colors, space engines and cones, castle and space wall parts, and of course wheels and tires. Stacked on top of one of these are 6 more shoeboxes, one each for Maersk, dark orange, sand green, 1x4x3 windows, car windscreens, and stairs.

Then there is a closet with five plastic storage tubs for foliage, baseplates, animals, built minifigs, and some unsorted. Plus 8 or more boxes (from our move) of unsorted bricks and completed MOCs that I haven't unpacked yet.

I organize parts locations based on frequency of usage. I almost NEVER have to 'scrounge' or dig for a part I need. If I know what part I need, I know what drawer, in what cabinet, where in the room I'll find it. It means very efficient, if not terribly parts-inspired building.

[EDIT to ADD] Just saw Troy's collection. I long for that kind of symettry and perfection. Dang you! But don't ever tell me you cannot fufill a missing part from your inventory!
Aaron
Legendary_Corsair
Archer

Post by Legendary_Corsair »

I was looking at you're collection on Brickshelf the other day and it caught my eye... I'm planning on having something like yours one day....Well I followed what you said on there....I don't see where you get the money for everything you buy...Well lucky you.

I'm really planning on sorting everything by color/piece coordination so I can show you guys.
I am.......a....Future Legend
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

SavaTheAggie wrote:A tempest sea of plastic and dreams, swirling and crashing against the shores of reality, pulling in all around who would gaze upon its splendor and releasing only those strongly affixed to the world around it. Unobtainable, undeniable, undefinable, it defies categorization and any organization. It is, it was, and ever shall be.

--Tony
Hillarious! :lol:

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

The power of ziploc bags. I sort by color for general bricks. Specialized bricks are in different categories.
Strider
Laborer

Post by Strider »

i don't organize i just ahve agray bucket filled with legos. when i find some cool pieces i put them on a pooltable along with minifigs. any creations or sets reside on the pool table also.