A female army-builder? watch out boys!

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
bonaparte
Peasant

Post by bonaparte »

Were there any minifigs in these pictures?
I must have been looking at something else :lol:
Great find :wink:
History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon.
LORD DOOM
Master of Brickwankery

Post by LORD DOOM »

I'd ask her out. 8)

But my jealousy of her minifigs would inevitably destroy the romance no matter what. What a shame.
*SIGH*...

:P
Ser Loktar
Foot Soldier

Post by Ser Loktar »

bonaparte wrote:Were there any minifigs in these pictures?
I must have been looking at something else :lol:
Great find :wink:
Well said, bonaparte.
Now why can't I find any women with her kind of beautiful... collection, around here.
I have a hard enough time finding any AFOLS, nevermind ladies with such refined tastes.
Stupid fate, putting women like her on the other side of the world, grumble grumble,
Ser Loktar
When I was a lad my mother told me that if I stood around all day with my mouth open a weasel was liable to mistake it for his den and jump right in. If you have something to say, say it, otherwise, beware of weasels.
GRRM
The dark tide
Gentleman

Post by The dark tide »

Yah, Jpinoy you have more than she does so don't worry.lol Though I am a bit miffed that a GIRL has a larger army than I do.
"The sky grows black...shadow falls...the Dark Tide comes..."

[Edgar J.]
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

It's not the size of your collection, it's what you do with it ;)
Sir Nelson
Old Wizard

Post by Sir Nelson »

Phrenic may not have the biggest army, but if she is a girl, she certainly has a nice set of... images. :P
Manang!
"Old Wizards never die, nor fade away. They just kind of operate behind the scenes and in the shadows... doing all of their weird and wonderful Wizardy things and whatnot."
Shroud9
Peasant

Post by Shroud9 »

JPinoy wrote:She needs to do a gallery search before saying such things. :P

Anyway, only by posting pics of our massive armies can she be silenced.

However, I have a problem setting up my armies right now due to some obstructions in the living room. Otherwise I would have plenty of room to display about 3,000 minifigs.
:shock: Ummm... does she read our forum?!?

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=273924

Or was it just by chance that she changed her folder title? :idea: :oops:

...and yah, it looks like well over 2000 minifigs, and apart from the MegaBloks Dragon and a few other odd pieces it's a pure Lego army!

It's really kewl to have a female army builder around now!

And come-on guys, she's gotta have at least _one_ of the biggest purely Castle armies in the world, i'd say in the !Top 10, and for that i give her props and respect! :D
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`• -=Richard=-
Daria
Villein

Post by Daria »

Shroud9 wrote:
:shock: Ummm... does she read our forum?!?

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=273924

Or was it just by chance that she changed her folder title? :idea: :oops:
Maybe she was creeped out by all the comments in this thread? Sometimes girls are funny about that sort of thing.
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

This is a nice army, irrespective of whether its the biggest or not. Good custom figures. I wouldn't have added the non-lego pieces, but that's her call. As far as to how many in her army, that's just a function of how much funds she can devote to her hobby. I think a lot more of us would have larger armies if we had more funds to spend on them.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Shroud9
Peasant

Post by Shroud9 »

Tower of Iron Will wrote:This is a nice army, irrespective of whether its the biggest or not. Good custom figures. I wouldn't have added the non-lego pieces, but that's her call. As far as to how many in her army, that's just a function of how much funds she can devote to her hobby. I think a lot more of us would have larger armies if we had more funds to spend on them.
-Tower
:!: I just love that logic and the way you wrote it:

'An ammased Lego army collection is just a function of how much funds a person can devote to their hobby.'

_Beautiful!

...oh, and yah, some of those customs look to be serious quality, it appears as though whole rank-and-file formations are armed to the teeth and with a great deal of detail! :D :D :D
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
davee123
Knower of the Doin's

Post by davee123 »

I dunno-- at a quick glance I guessed that it was about the same number of figs I had (I thought I had about 1000-- turns out I have just shy of 1500). By quick counting and guestimation, I counted about ~900 or so in the pictures. Plus, that's counting some other non-Lego figures, skeletons, ghosts, ninja-style figs, and other stuff. So I'd guess 1000 or so ballpark.

Castle armies get pretty huge for some collectors, because, well, collecting armies is fun! And there's the usually-testosterone-induced (but I guess not in this case) contest of "who has more?". I know there are people out there who have 5000+ castle minifigs (I've only got about 4,000 minifigs *total* let alone that many *castle* figs), so rest assured it's pretty difficult to claim the title of 'biggest castle army'. There's always some lurker out there with twice as much!

DaveE
Shroud9
Peasant

Post by Shroud9 »

Old_School_Fan wrote:
Lord Tyler II wrote:HO-WAH! Did you see what this Phrenic person had it their file? http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Phren ... _jones.bmp Where'd they get THAT?

There is an Indiana Jones post in General LEGO that is constantly updated, and currently has a link to these same pics as well as discussion.
The Brickshelf page that this girl has got up is actually the first one where i've seen multiple new images of the new 2008 Indiana Jones line amassed together.

-
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2721334
-

...y'know, i wonder if she actually works for The LEGO Group?!? lol :lol:
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Post by Remyth »

DARKspawn wrote:It's not the size of your collection, it's what you do with it ;)
Most definetly. I know some people with collections as large as mine, but they can't build anything with it. I also know some people with tiny collections that can make awesome vignettes and such.

In Christ,
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]
natepc
Peasant

Post by natepc »

What I don't understand is the point of all this. Yes, a girl who has a huge army. Your point? Is it that amazingly uncommon?

Then again, I've never been that fond of army building, never saw the point or had the funds.

Nate
Nate PC
------
[url=http://flickr.com/photos/natepc]Flickr[/url]
davee123
Knower of the Doin's

Post by davee123 »

natepc wrote:What I don't understand is the point of all this. Yes, a girl who has a huge army. Your point? Is it that amazingly uncommon?
Well, actually... yes :)

Out of LUGNET members, there's roughly only about 7% females! I'm not sure how rare people with "large" castle armies are, but at a guess, maybe 5%, based on, well, very little. So if you figure about 10k or so of English-speaking AFOLs worldwide (again, I can only guess), you might expect only 35 or so AFOL females with large castle armies? I personally know 2, and there are maybe another 5 or so I know online? I dunno. Not many.

Anyway, considering the number of male enthusiasts, it always piques interest to know that there's another female in the hobby. Certainly for my LSO and *other* females in the hobby, it's always somehow a "hooray!" moment when another female AFOL is revealed. And for all the single male AFOL's out there, it's ALSO usually a "hooray!" moment-- even though perhaps it ought not be :)
natepc wrote:Then again, I've never been that fond of army building, never saw the point or had the funds.
Understandable. It's another testament to testosterone to have a large army. Not only to imagine a huge army, but also as a contest with other AFOLs for the "largest collection", or perhaps a self-evaluation to see how you rate amongst others. But typically, those are the things that men are more interested in, so again, it makes females more rare when they join in.

That said, though, I guess I still find myself doubting that it's *her* collection, and not, perhaps her boyfriend's collection.

DaveE