Bullet Helms and REAL Bows please.

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Re: Bullet Helms and REAL Bows please.

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Although I like crossbows, more bows would be nice. Perhaps a balance, say, for each crossbow equiped figure there could be a bow equiped figure as well.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

The crossbow should take a several year hiatus. Archers and bullet helms would be a good addition to future castle sets. Each tower in a castle should have an archer.

Ben
davee123
Knower of the Doin's

Post by davee123 »

SPACE MARINE wrote:I know you abandoned that because the chinstrap was kinda thin,
Is that true? I've had the old style motorcycle helmets break on the chinstrap, but I've never had the bullet helm chinstraps break, or the new motorcycle helmet chinstraps. Last time it was used was what, 2002?

Oddly enough, I've broken more flare helmets (the nose guards), and those have been in use from 1978-2010 without any change that I'm aware of!

DaveE
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

This is news to me but maybe it's time for the LEGO pope to ban the crossbow again.
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Post by Elephant Knight »

Ye Olde Republic wrote:This is news to me but maybe it's time for the LEGO pope to ban the crossbow again.
I totally concur with this statement.

EKnight
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life
Redav
Artisan

Post by Redav »

davee123 wrote:Is that true? I've had the old style motorcycle helmets break on the chinstrap, but I've never had the bullet helm chinstraps break,
I have had many. They split through the middle.
davee123 wrote:Oddly enough, I've broken more flare helmets (the nose guards), and those have been in use from 1978-2010 without any change that I'm aware of!
Had a couple of those occur too.
Team Jesus

[url=http://www.brickset.com/search/?ownedBy=redav]My Brickset List[/url]
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/redavthe1st/]My Flickr Photostream[/url]
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I do not see why TLC could nto simply keep both in use. If they did not want to have one faction using both then have the rival factions armed differently, one with bows, the other crossbows. I agree it is time for the return of the bow.

Heir of BF
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

Hmmm....just noticed this today. Maybe bows are on their way back, but with a slightly different design. Here is the original:

And here is the one with the new Elf minifig in the pic provided by Heir of Black Falcon.
Link

If all else fails, I know a certain customizer that has 2 different versions available..... just saying :wink:
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
davee123
Knower of the Doin's

Post by davee123 »

Quickblade22 wrote:Hmmm....just noticed this today. Maybe bows are on their way back, but with a slightly different design.
I believe the Chinese facilities have their own versions of molds that are different than the "standard" ones. So if we see bows coming out in normal sets, they'll probably be just like they always were. But if we see bows coming out in Chinese sets (minifigs, magnets, collector sets, etc), then we might very well see the new design.

IIRC, that's true for a few of the elements, such as minifig arms (Chinese version has square indent) and pistols (gun sight is larger, I think?). So I'm thinking this is just another instance where they've just done their own new mold in China, and not bothered to make sure it matches the old one.

DaveE
Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Steward

Post by Frank_Lloyd_Knight »

Quickblade22 wrote:Hmmm....just noticed this today. Maybe bows are on their way back, but with a slightly different design. Here is the original:

And here is the one with the new Elf minifig in the pic provided by Heir of Black Falcon.
Link

If all else fails, I know a certain customizer that has 2 different versions available..... just saying :wink:
The image of the bow you've posted actually looks like the one produced with the Robin Hood figure from the Series 1 collectible minifigures. It's slightly different from the old castle bows. The easiest way to tell is that the bowstring is drawn at a slightly more accute angle in the new Robin Hood bow, than it is in the older bows. But the last time I checked, Bricklink was treating them as if they were the same bow. So in addition to the elf bow, it looks like a total of three versions as far as I can tell. (The old bow I'm using for reference came from set#6022.)
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

I believe the Chinese facilities have their own versions of molds that are different than the "standard" ones. So if we see bows coming out in normal sets, they'll probably be just like they always were. But if we see bows coming out in Chinese sets (minifigs, magnets, collector sets, etc), then we might very well see the new design.
My speculation was in reference to hearing about molds becoming old and replaced rather than where they are produced.
The image of the bow you've posted actually looks like the one produced with the Robin Hood figure from the Series 1 collectible minifigures.
I don't own that figure, so it wasn't at the top of my mind.
@Quickblade: Yes, I knew about BF and loved their products, I'm even a forums member, but that would still keep new KFOLs away from the experience of arming minifigs with bows, as most do not know about BF, and most of those who do know have parents who think it's a rip-off in one form or another.
My comment was directed toward the CC community. Hobbies aren't free, but I'd say $1 for a choice of 2 bows in over 12 different colors in hardly a rip off :wink:
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
SevFalcon
Laborer

Post by SevFalcon »

I would love to see the return of the bullet helms in the metallic silver and metallic dark grey colors to fit in with the current Kingdom/Castle line.... :)
Velliscig
Artisan

Post by Velliscig »

Ah, bullet helms. Can never find enough of them on BL. Metallics would be nice, but I'd rather they return in a pearl gray or such, so the paint doesn't wear off. Longbows would require bullet helms; minifigs would probably find themselves drawing their strings and getting them "caught" in their neck-guard helms. :?

Look at the bright side of crossbows; they pack more power and represent wealth.
Baron Greenbriar
Villein

Post by Baron Greenbriar »

Velliscig wrote:Ah, bullet helms. Can never find enough of them on BL.

Look at the bright side of crossbows; they pack more power and represent wealth.
Bullet helms are a favorite of mine too. The problem is they are hard to find as you stated. They off course go on archers but also look good on halberds and guards. Crossbows are nice because they are easy to find :wink: But I like regular (long) bows better. They aren't as aesthetically pleasing but good old fashion archers who need skill not a trigger to launch their projectiles are a welcome addition to any Lego castle.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Only in part. They do have more power and are usually more expensive but that is not really the prime reason why they were the main personal missile weapon for most of medieval Europe.

The major issue with bows is that to be effective in war they need to have a cultural change. Almost all of Europe employed the crossbow in the high and late medieval period simply because of this. The archery culture required can be seen especially in the eastern european states, the Ottomans and in many nomandic groups for example. The Ottomans were using bows until well into the 19th century, though it had been some hundred or so years since they were effective against the Europeans. In England the bow had been in use, even for war, for some time but it took Edward I and especially his Grandson Edward III to really get it moving. Sadly for England it was hard to keep everyone at the archery butts and sadly it died out during the 16th and 17th century to all but a few. There are some very interesting stories of bands of archers during the English Civil War in the mid 17th century.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...