Who to blame for kk2...

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Emperor James
Steward

Who to blame for kk2...

Post by Emperor James »

http://boards.lego.com/default/topic.js ... dd6bf900cf

That is a link to a Lego.com message bord discussion.Look at the first post... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Perhaps rpablog is to blame for KK2.

edited by Lenny to fix the link
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

AAAHHHHH!!!!! Stupid Bionicle, look what you have done to these poor children, Bionicle has poisoned their minds!!!

Anyway I doubt that LEGO got that idea from one kid since there are hundreds of us who want better things.
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

Sir Terrance wrote:AAAHHHHH!!!!! Stupid Bionicle, look what you have done to these poor children, Bionicle has poisoned their minds!!!

Anyway I doubt that LEGO got that idea from one kid since there are hundreds of us who want better things.
But, if you read the whole thing, you will notice that far too many people seem to agree. Perhaps, if that misguided... person :roll: hadn't posted that accursed post, then noone else would have come up with the foolish idea, and tlc might have decided that the bioknights were indeed the worst idea ever thought up, as we all know they are.
medib
Bailiff

Post by medib »

Ah... but I see a BIG flaw of logic in this: kids, for some reason like the gimmicky (or fadish) Bionicles.

(Lord, save this uneducated new generation of Construction Toy collectors) :wink:

Anyways, I'd like to share a short story.

Two years ago, I was in Zellers (a department store in Canada) and was made aware that they had a LOT of
the Slave I/Desert Skiff co-packs (both of these were
sold together in the same packaging) for very cheap
($9.99 Canadian ~ $6.30 US).

I went in a bought a couple of these, not sure how many.
There was an old couple with their grandson.
He was insistant on Bionicle, and no matter how
hard I pitched it, (no I was not an employee there or
a sales agent) :lol: the kid (who looked about 10 or so),
refused to get the starwars pack.

Sad really. But shows you that it overall coolness doesn't
matter, just as long as they collect the latest "fad".

Ben Medinets
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

edit them edit them to edit! Why would anyone want that.

Oh yeah, and stupid TLC for listenining to a little kid again!
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

medib wrote: Anyways, I'd like to share a short story.

Two years ago, I was in Zellers (a department store in Canada) and was made aware that they had a LOT of
the Slave I/Desert Skiff co-packs (both of these were
sold together in the same packaging) for very cheap
($9.99 Canadian ~ $6.30 US).

I went in a bought a couple of these, not sure how many.
There was an old couple with their grandson.
He was insistant on Bionicle, and no matter how
hard I pitched it, (no I was not an employee there or
a sales agent) :lol: the kid (who looked about 10 or so),
refused to get the starwars pack.

Sad really. But shows you that it overall coolness doesn't
matter, just as long as they collect the latest "fad".

Ben Medinets
That story is making me cry, someone could make a horror movie out of that. :lol:
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
Dire Avenger
Villein

Post by Dire Avenger »

I spent like two hundred dollars on Bionicle overall. but NOT because it was the latest fad. Overall, i really REALLY liked it for its first two years. Then the Toa got transformed into those Nuva abominations and i was like "What the heck?" and dropped it. Ive been following the story and i have to stop soon because im about to go fling myself out a window - i cant beleive how LEGO is turning their marvelous plot into this dumb story-line-of-the-day thing.....Anyway, enuf of me ranting.

Back to topic: So anyway, when i first saw the KKII sets i was actually still reliativly addicted to bionicle. I was still in denial against the Toa Nuva and all.....So when i saw them i was like "oh kuul roxors" but now....I dont like the figures. Its kinda dumb idea to me...Especially without any Shadow Knights. So you have four knights eternally fighting Vladek....Weirdsare.

-DA
Always remember....A toothpick in time saves nine. Only, what the heck does that mean?
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

If I were a kid, I'd probably like the KK2 more than a generic theme. I always liked He-Man, X-men, the Ghostbusters... even though the story was already there for me. Even with my generic castle Lego, I played King Arthur. I don't blame kids for liking KK2.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
The Josh
Apprentice

Post by The Josh »

Maybe the kid did spark the horrible idea for the new large KK2 knights. This is a very good reason why kids shouldn't be on the internet, let alone chatting with people they don't know in some crazy Lego forum (I think I'm on to something here :wink: ).

Even though it's bad to hope other people you don't know run into problems, I hope rpablog gets a virus to teach him a lesson.

-The Josh
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

And if they didn't have the big figures, maybe they would have done better minifig sets... :cry: :evil: :cry: :evil: :cry: :evil: :cry: :evil:

I'm divided between misery and rage. Perhaps I need therapy(not serious, would never spend money on therapy the could be spent on Lego!)
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Who is to blame for KK2?

MARKETING

Thats right. The LEGO designers are highly skilled and can and do create wonderful prototypes and sets. But if marketing wants Bionicle inspired sets for 6 year olds instead of semi-realistic castle system for 8-10 year olds, guess who wins that arguement? Anyway, some new sets, such as the ones being released in October look promising.

However, other sets such as 8779 the Grand Tournament have terrible designs and are sitting on my local TRU's shelves. Not one has been sold yet. Other sets like the Castle of Morcia and Border Ambush are making some sales.

In conclusion, I think the designers are extremely talented but are limited to what marketing thinks will sell the best.

Ben E.
Dada
Freeman

Post by Dada »

A few years ago, I saw a television broadcast speaking about lego. I was frightened: without speaking about the APOLOGY (the term is adapted) for Megablocks, there was the interview of a mother who spoke about his son (5 years) who played legos and said that in 1 year or 2, he would be old and he would stop playing legos because it is a play for the little children... :?

Veiled the problem: lego is considered by certain as something for the little children (5-6 years). And to like the children, they think that it needs simple things, easy to build, coloured...
Superdada, grand général des armées Léonidienne
medib
Bailiff

Post by medib »

Welcome the "perceived" marketplace.

True, youth today have much less attention spans than
the youth of yesteryear, but I'm sure there is enough
brand appeal to market decent-looking sets without dumbing down for the market.

I could post more, but I don't want to get too off-topic,
and the stuff I would say is not appropriate for this
type of forum... :D

Benjamin Medinets
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

Why would 5-6 year olds be a bigger market than 8-10 year olds? Maybe 8-10 year olds have mostly outgrown their Lego? Perhaps we should brainwash all the 5-6 year olds to not buy Lego, and the 8-!0 year olds to buy Lego :D While we're at it, could brainwash my computer to not be so slow...
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Dada wrote:A few years ago, I saw a television broadcast speaking about lego. I was frightened: without speaking about the APOLOGY (the term is adapted) for Megablocks, there was the interview of a mother who spoke about his son (5 years) who played legos and said that in 1 year or 2, he would be old and he would stop playing legos because it is a play for the little children... :?

Veiled the problem: lego is considered by certain as something for the little children (5-6 years). And to like the children, they think that it needs simple things, easy to build, coloured...
Maybe in another 3 or 4 years I'll grow up and stop playing with Lego. (Says the 17-year-old, who as a child, thought he'd probably outgrow Lego by 15, although he wasn't looking forward to it.)

Fact is though, that most Lego users are juvenile (delinquents). Only the best, most loyal, luckiest, (handsomest), and most crazy survive the gamot to become AFOLs.