Greek Hoplite Swords: Xiphos and Kopis

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

JPinoy wrote:
I was refering to the Xiphos. The pics I've seen of that Falcata and it resembles the Kopis more than the Xiphos. Im refering to the long sword + leaf shaped design of the Xiphos as being somewhat a combo of the straight bladed Keltic long sword + the leaf shaped kopis/falcata.

As for how the Greeks came into contact with Keltic weaponry.... The Greeks some attacks from the Keltic tribes far north of them around 280 BC. But before that the Keltic tribes had invaded other places like Italy and Iberia, but not before they established trade with those civilizations first.

The Greeks themselves used the name of one tribe they knew the Keltoi, as a name for all the other tribes. They've known about the Keltic peoples since around 600 BC as they've established colonies like Massilia near Keltic territories.
My bad. Hmmmm, well, the Greeks certainly weren't the first with a leaf-shaped blade - that form goes back to bronze age swords and I'm on less certain ground there, but I believe the Egyptians had a leaf-shaped sword considerably before the Xiphos. The Xiphos is more a specific size, proportion, grip, pommel and balance rather than a complete innovation.

I don't recall any example of Celts using leaf-shaped blades, but the durn critters were everywhere, so my knowledge of them is not even remotely exhaustive. They pretty much used straight-edged swords so far as I know - lacking body armor (and even clothes at times), they didn't need a leaf-shaped blade to increase cutting power.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Bricksidge
Philosopher-King of the Gong Farmers

Post by Bricksidge »

Ooh I really like the curved one. I'll need to try that sometime.

Don't shoot me for saying this, but it looks rather like an elf sword.
~[url=http://www.neutronbot.com/kevin/]Kevin Blocksidge[/url]
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

I don't recall any example of Celts using leaf-shaped blades, but the durn critters were everywhere, so my knowledge of them is not even remotely exhaustive. They pretty much used straight-edged swords so far as I know - lacking body armor (and even clothes at times), they didn't need a leaf-shaped blade to increase cutting power.
The Kelts used these long straight blade swords for slashing. All that reference to the Xiphos being "Greco-Gallic" is that it has the long blade of the Keltic longsword, but also combines the leaf shape of the Kopis/Falcata into that long sword design. Thus resulting in the form that it is.

Im just getting this off the top of my head. From what I remember reading about those kind of swords from a "Warfare in the Western World" book.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

JPinoy wrote:
The Kelts used these long straight blade swords for slashing. All that reference to the Xiphos being "Greco-Gallic" is that it has the long blade of the Keltic longsword, but also combines the leaf shape of the Kopis/Falcata into that long sword design. Thus resulting in the form that it is.

Im just getting this off the top of my head. From what I remember reading about those kind of swords from a "Warfare in the Western World" book.
A Xiphos is on the short side, not long. Nor is it particularly derived from the Kopis/Falcata - the leaf-weighted blade long predates the inward-angled blade. The most common celtic swords that I am aware of are long and straight - they simply aren't like the Xiphos.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

An excerpt from The Celts: Conquerors of Europe about the shape of Celtic swords:
For attacking, the Guals discovered the most suitable weapon for horsemmen or tall foot soldiers: a blunt-ended long iron sword, wide, flat, tapering, and double edged, which allowed a strong arm swinging it from high on horseback to slash into or fell an adversary's body... its cutting strength must have been largely responsible for the initial agitation of the southern world, which was only familiar with short, stabbing swords. A true cavalry saber, the Celtic weapon seems to have had the double advantage of keeping the enemy at a distance while also reaching them.
But the Gaul's adversaries quickly discovered the shortcomings of this formidable instrument. To counter its dangerous edge the Romans reinforced the armour plating of their shields and helmets, and the Gaulish sword, soft and poorly tempered, bent with the first blows. It could not thrust: To disarm it, Latin soldiers had only to be armed with long spears.
All of the illustrations and photos in this book show a straight, not leaf shaped, blade. Considering this, I find it interesting that so-called 'replicas' of Celtic swords predominantly have a leaf-shaped blade, as well as the historically accurate anthropomorphic hilts. I suppose it doesn't matter... I love my Celtic sword, historically accurate or not.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess