Good job controlling the masses!

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
Dragonlord Esq.
Reeve

Good job controlling the masses!

Post by Dragonlord Esq. »

I was browsing through the Eurobricks forum today, and the first thing I noticed was the rampant nationalistic flamewars. Here we can have a civilized conversation about Vikings and Dino Attack without insulting each other. Sure, we can get a bit defensive sometimes, but nothing over the top. I think someone even brought up the Iraq war on Eurobricks. What does that have to do with LEGO? Thank you mods and admins (and the gracious members here) for creating a completely non-hostile atmosphere for us to enjoy our LEGO fanaticism. :D
Bricksidge
Philosopher-King of the Gong Farmers

Post by Bricksidge »

Well thanks!

This serves as a good time to remind all CCers that we ask political and religious sentiments to be left at the door. This goes for both the Forum and the Chat.
~[url=http://www.neutronbot.com/kevin/]Kevin Blocksidge[/url]
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

"It is not my will to deliver my religious beliefs to any man."

"It is the will of Theoden"

"It is not clear to me that the will of Theoden should prevail over Aragorn, heir of Elendil."

"Needless is Theoden's demand, but a king will have his own way in his own hall. Now come, Aragorn!"

"Let no man handle them! Death shall come to any man who draws Elendil's religious beliefs save Elendil's heir!"

-Paraphrased from the Lord of the Rings

I'd also like to compliment the admins on the fine job they do. This is one of the best-run sites on the web, largely due in part to your hard work and wisely-placed rules.
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

I for one would love to discuss religion and politics with other members...

...but it violates the TOS so I keep my mouth shut!

But Great Job to the admins for making CC a PC place :lol:

EDIT:Like Formendacil, several members have Biblical Quotes in their profile (although his isn't realy that outward). I for one have no problem with that, but I take it that the signatures of CC members are open grounds for religious and political statements; would I be correct in this assumption?
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Dragon Master wrote:EDIT:Like Formendacil, several members have Biblical Quotes in their profile (although his isn't realy that outward). I for one have no problem with that, but I take it that the signatures of CC members are open grounds for religious and political statements; would I be correct in this assumption?
No one's complained yet, I guess.

And even one or two of the admins have sported the odd religious/political sentiment. I seem to recall that Bricksidge's most recent long-running sig was something of that nature.
Dragonlord Esq.
Reeve

The difference between that signature and expressing political sentiment is that any political statement inherently has an opposition, while a proverb, even if from the Bible, is just a word of advice. I can't see anyone taking offense to that.
Last edited by Dragonlord Esq. on Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Dragonlord Esq. wrote:The difference between that signature and expressing political sentiment is that any political statement inherently has an opposition, while a proverb, even if from the Bible, is just a word of advice. I can't see anyone taking offence to that.
I didn't take offense from his, or any one else's signature. I was merely saying it was odd that it could go in one place and not in another. Formen's sig was a bad example for it is just a word of advice. I have seen other signatures and post tags that have been much more openly religious. I could care less what someone else has to say in there signature!

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Dragonlord Esq.
Reeve

Dragon Master wrote:I didn't take offense from his, or any one else's signature. I was merely saying it was odd that it could go in one place and not in another. Formen's sig was a bad example for it is just a word of advice. I have seen other signatures and post tags that have been much more openly religious. I could care less what someone else has to say in there signature!

DM
I know. I didn't think you took offense.
Bricksidge
Philosopher-King of the Gong Farmers

Post by Bricksidge »

I do not believe there is any policy on sig lines.

My personnal recommendations would be to keep the sig short and non-offensive (and big images are a nuisance!)

Also consider that people will be reading it over and over and over again. Something that may seem clever, original, and hilarious at first might not seem so on the 20th read.

And just because an admin had a political statement in his sig, doesn't make it right. I've since reconsidered my stance, and view it as innappropriate (this is just me talking, this is not any sort of official policy).

My 2 gold pieces, for what it's worth.
~[url=http://www.neutronbot.com/kevin/]Kevin Blocksidge[/url]
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

I've posted on a few other LEGO forums, but this is the only one that I read and post on regularly (900+ posts here versus 30-some posts in all the other forums combined). In my experience, most of the other forums are filled with elitist, ill-mannered, annoying and all around unpleasant people, but Classic-Castle is friendly and enjoyable 99.9% of the time.
So, in other words: thanks to the admins for all the hard work they've put into making this a fun place to be.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Is a philosophical advice sig, that I have ok? It was formed as a response to the sudden onslaught of personal problems I was having last year.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Bricksidge wrote:Also consider that people will be reading it over and over and over again. Something that may seem clever, original, and hilarious at first might not seem so on the 20th read.
Well, heck, that's why I'm always changing mine.
8)
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

JPinoy wrote:Is a philosophical advice sig, that I have ok? It was formed as a response to the sudden onslaught of personal problems I was having last year.
I've got no problem with it. Actually, I kinda like it.

Political/religious sentiments would be ones that go out of their way to offend, ie:

"President Bush is a flaming idiot"

or

"Love Jesus or else you will burn forever in Megablocks."

Those would not be okay. But, Classic-castle does feel it is important that people should be able to express themselves, even if it is political or religious. The key is to keeping in mind how someone with radically different beliefs would feel about your signature.

As far as I'm concerned this really isn't a big issue for us - due mainly to the civil nature of our members, rather than any great effort by the Admins. But I don't mind taking some credit, even if I don't think it is due. ;)

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~