Hi, I love Mega Bloks! :)

General USER announcements, such as introductions and away messages.
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

whew - you dont do things by halves do you? :D
thanks for the review of megablocks, though I still dont care for them, my son does.
I agree with your assesment though. The biggest lack I think is that megablocks just doesnt have a system. I find that while I like the rounded bricks that come with the playsets, having only a 2*4 is a bit lame.. even if they added a 2*2 and a 2*1 it would increase its playability by leaps and bounds. the rounded brick adds a touch of realism to the old ruins my son builds, and I will admit that I flat out love the baseplates.... I like the rivers, cracks, crevices, gulleys, etc that you can create with them.. however I also love the fact that I can build all that out of Lego too :wink:

anyway, thanks again and welcome.
garsh
Serf

Post by garsh »

Until tonight I had no idea I had so much to say about Mega Bloks and LEGO. Believe it or not, I spared you a few paragraphs. ^^;;

Thanks again to you two friendly greeters who posted while I was writing my latest book! (Available soon in paperback!)

LEGOFREAK, there are 2*2 and 1*2 rounded "masonry" bricks from Dragons. Unfortunately they're pretty rare, especially the 1*2 variety. They appear only sparsely and in the most recent Dragons sets.

That's why I'm hoping to buy some from any of you that have them to sell. I've already had one offer and several assurances that I'd be kept in mind, and that's magnificent considering I've only been on this forum for less than a whole day yet. This is already been way more rewarding than I could have imagined. I'm a little worried that I might get more offers than I can afford to keep up with. D:

Ultimately I'd like to build a large, complex castle out of primarily those rounded bricks; only using other parts for accents and details.

Including that, I have three MOC projects in mind, two of them dependant on whether I can get enough of the parts I need. The chances of that are looking pretty good, now, even without a Bloklink!
BuilderQ
Laborer

Re: Hi, I love Mega Bloks! :)

Post by BuilderQ »

Welcome, garsh.
garsh wrote:I'm enamoured with Mega Bloks Dragons and have collected my favorite sets from both of the first two series and eagerly plan on getting several from an upcoming third series.
Haven't there already been four series ("The Beginning", "Krystal Wars", "Fire and Ice", and "Spell Casters")? See http://www.megabloks.com/en/kids/dragon ... inning.php.
grown_up_nerd
Serf

Post by grown_up_nerd »

Alivey told me to tell you hi, Steven. You're never coming over to get those cd's I made you, are you?

OH I want to write a story for us to act out with your mega bloks!
I am a visionary.
garsh
Serf

Post by garsh »

BuilderQ,
If you judge by the chapters the releases have been broken into, I suppose you could say there are five series. The background stories don't really interest me, so I don't follow how they catagorize the sets in that respect, I just consider each wave of toys released a new series.

From my understanding there have been two major releases, with smaller added sets between, which I guess would account for the five chapters. Right now I'm anticipating a third major release that appears to focus on metalergy and Asian influenced architecture. But maybe I should be thinking of it as the 6th series.

For anybody interested, there are preview shots of Mega Bloks Dragons: Metal Ages sets at this URL:
http://photos.figures.com/photo/1/showg ... 313&page=2

I'm most pleased with the demonic red dragon, the black smith shop and the beastly, almost up-right standing dragons.

grown_up_nerd,
Get your own Mega Bloks. And stop acting like you like them. Tell Alivey I said hi and "collectable trading cards". Tell Jen that, too.
grown_up_nerd
Serf

Post by grown_up_nerd »

:D I love when you publicly humilate me.

Alivey retracts her salutation and Jen wants none of your consumable fluids.
I am a visionary.
JasonSpears
Laborer

Re: Hi, I love Mega Bloks! :)

Post by JasonSpears »

garsh wrote:Eventually the style of sets I loved so much gradually dwindled in supply, replaced by sets and themes that I was not compelled to spend money on. Before I realized it, my feverish passion had become all but a memory. Long after my interest had waned, I would only casually browse the LEGO aisles in disbelief at what had become of my favorite toy. My shock turned to trauma when I began seeing licensed series featuring the likes of Star Wars, Spider Man and Harry Potter. There was no hope left, and I never really had a chance to say goodbye, since I didn't even notice the moment when I somehow decided no new LEGO sets would come home with me.

Aside from that I've also gathered a decent collection of Mega Bloks Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (my other biggest childhood passion)
First, welcome to Classic-Castle.

I'll readily admit that I'm a bit of a purist and the Mega Bloks aesthetic just doesn't appeal to me. I've handled some of the Dragon sets, and found it lacking. (for me)

I'm curious about something you mentioned above. You expressed shock and trauma at the Star Wars, Spider Man and Harry Potter licenses. Yet you have gathered a decent collection of TMNT Mega Bloks.

So my question is: Do you have something in particular against licensing? If so, how does TMNT fit into that? Or do you have something against Star Wars, Spiderman and/or Harry Potter?

I was a big TMNT fan as a kid, but the MB TMNT sets interest me none. However, I enjoy SW, Spidey and HP outside of the brick and the sets provide me with many interesting parts for my various projects.
Jason Spears | [url=http://www.michlug.org]MichLUG[/url] | [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/spearjr/]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
JasonSpears
Laborer

Post by JasonSpears »

garsh wrote:I've read that Mega Bloks doesn't use ABS plastic, but I wonder what else they possibly could use. Whatever it is it turns out remarkably similar, so much so that the price difference is far more than worth it to me. Even if I didn't love the themes and sets Mega Bloks is putting out now so much more than anything from LEGO, I would still buy Mega Bloks if only because I can get so much more for the money.
According to this, Mega Bloks are made from high impact polystyrene plastic and other materials. I'm not sure that it's critical, just answering the question.

As for the price vs piece count question, I'd say that LEGO set 4507 compares pretty well with MB set 9728. Of course, neither of those are castle sets. So how about MB set 9889 and LEGO set 8780? I'm not seeing the "more for my money" argument holding up. Or are we strictly comparing grey bricks? Like MB set 9762 vs 4 copies of LEGO set 10145 (630 pieces vs 248 pieces)?
garsh wrote:Another common complaint I read about Mega Bloks is about grip. It's undeniable that they grip less firmly than new LEGO bricks, but it's not a difference that causes me any problem. In fact, I was very surprised at how comparable it was. It was an even bigger surprise when I pulled out some of my LEGO boxes a few days ago and was building a structure that I was handling like Mega Bloks. With Mega Bloks I grew accustomed to being able to press firmly on the top of large assemblies to attach one assembly to another. Attemtping that with LEGO I ended up with a shower of bricks flying in all directions. Mega Bloks can be more stubborn to get together, but I find once assembled into a secure model, they tend to be more durable than an average LEGO model.
Are we speaking about the models direct out of the box, or creation built by people? I'll agree with you that many lego models out of the box are somewhat fragile. I don't have the experience with larger MB sets, so I can't comment there.

But specifically to your comment about pressing firmly on top of large assemblies to attach one to another, this was built in large sub-assemblies and then presses firmly (with a rubber mallet actually) together and not a brick went flying. I built both this castle and wall without bricks flying everywhere when I put sections together. Adrian Drake held a large subsection of this creation up by just the top of the tower and it held fine from the display room at HoB to my van.

Creations are fragile or strong, based solely on the builder and techniques used, but I'd put money on a creation built with LEGO will travel better than one built with MB (if similar builds and by the same person).
Jason Spears | [url=http://www.michlug.org]MichLUG[/url] | [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/spearjr/]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

garsh wrote:I'll just wander around sites like this and admire the work of you fans who are so dedicated they'll weather the very worst insults a coroporation and churn out.
I just wouldn't consider myself a "fan". The problem with being one is that it kind of implies a level of loyalty that I'm not prone to.
Hey Garsh,

Welcome aboard! Don't let the F in AFOL fool you, we in the AFOL community can be more critical than anyone about the product lines when we dislike them. Your dislike of recent set designs is well taken--I know I'm not the only one here who almost never buys a set for its intended design. Every new set I get gets built once, but pretty much immediately gets torn down and turned into MOCfodder. That said, I do think there's been a turnaround--the upcoming Vikings line looks pretty cool, the second round of KKII sets towers over the first round, and this new chess set is very exciting.

Personally, I like the look of those masonry bricks and appreciate the price-per-pound-of-plastic argument, but I'm a little too much of a purist to go that way. Also, the tins of Dragon knights are a great idea and I wish LEGO would do the same, but I don't think they look good mixed in with LEGO minifigs, so I never got any of those.

Anyway, c'mon in, the water's fine. Don't be too offended, though if the word MegaBloks is used as an expletive. :) On the whole we're a friendly bunch.

Bruce
[url=http://comicbricks.blogspot.com/]ComicBricks[/url] [url=http://godbricks.blogspot.com/]GodBricks[/url] [url=http://microbricks.blogspot.com/]MicroBricks[/url] [url=http://minilandbricks.blogspot.com/]MinilandBricks[/url] [url=http://scibricks.blogspot.com/]SciBricks[/url] [url=http://vignettebricks.blogspot.com/]VignetteBricks[/url] [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/bricktales/]Brick Tales[/url]
wizardnoob28
Apprentice

Post by wizardnoob28 »

i have recieved some Megablocks in the past(dragon) and i don't know if it is just me, but do all sets not come with instructtions?
garsh
Serf

Post by garsh »

Hi JasonSpears, thanks for the welcome!

I don't have anything against licensing in general, I just find it depressing to see a company like LEGO "sell out" that way. During my whole childhood LEGO was always around and seemingly flourishing without having to resort to anything like that. When I saw Star Wars and Harry Potter logos on LEGO boxes, my heart sank and my inner child died a little. Licences should be left to LEGO knock-offs like Mega Bloks.

Oh and I have nothing against any of the licensed properties I mentioned. I'm not a big super hero fan, so SpiderMan doesn't do anything for me, but I have no anti-SpiderMan agenda, either.

If the Mega Bloks Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles theme were based on the cartoons or comics fro the 80s, I'd be even more thrilled about them than I am now. I love the figures a lot and wouldn't change a thing.

When I was a kid I yerned for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in LEGO form. Even then I knew it was impossible, but that didn't stop me from dreaming, drawing pictures and trying to imagine ways to make it happen with custom work. All these years later and Mega Bloks has far exceeded my wishes; sculpting muscular arms and using appropriate paint and colors for each turtle.

Most of the sets are fairly dull, though, except that I really like the Combat Lair (1421). One of the drawbacks to basing these sets on the modern Turtles cartoon is the limited inspiration to draw from. There aren't many interesting, yet not obtuse, locations or vehicles from the cartoon that can be translated into brick form.

For instance, even though I like the idea of the armored car as a TMNT vehicle, and it's a nice model, it's just not as cool as an old rebuilt 70s VolksWagen van. Since there was no April O'Neil and no Splinter, I'm really hoping for a second series.

The sets that have been appearing in the SpiderMan series would better suit the classic idea of TMNT, really. Simple street scenes and nicely decorated building facades are much better than skateboard ramps. The good thing about those sets, though, is that they do come with quite a few basic bricks and can be built into other things easily.

"High impact polystyrene plastic and other materials" is pretty vague, but thanks for answering that anyway, as I am genuinely curious what the material difference could be.

Some of the sets you compared to illustrate "more for my money" are a little confusing. For instance, are you suggesting you would prefer Citadel of Orlan (LEGO 8780) to Portal of Fire (Mega Bloks 9889) even if they were both LEGO? I haven't seen them side by side, of course, but I'm pretty sure Portal of Fire would more or less dwarf Citadel of Orlan.

The general comparison I made in my original post was one based on overall result more than price-per-brick or weight comparison. When I build a Mega Bloks Dragons castle I end up with a large, impressive, dramatic model that visually demolishes anything from LEGO. And that's besides the bonuses like the enormous dragons themselves with light-up features and so on. Not that something like that is necessarily relevant to any LEGO purist, and I can understand that perfectly.

And I'm only comparing prices that I have personal experience with. By that I mean LEGO castles that cost $50+ 10-15 or more years ago are miniscule and bland compared to an average Mega Bloks Dragons castle that I can buy for that same price now--all these years of inflation later--and often for less. LEGO, on the other hand, has just gotten smaller and more expensive.

Although, as you pointed out, the Mega Bloks bricks themselves are less expensive, too. I've read it's something like 0.7 cents for LEGO versues 0.3 cents for Mega Bloks on average.

On a side note I'd like to point out that the prices listed on the Mega Bloks website are usually higher than what you'll really pay. I often find the sets on shelves for around $10 less, and if they stay stocked long enough they can be as much as half off from that. So a set listed for as much as $60 could be concievably bought brand new for $20 at the store.

On the topic of grip, you make an excellent point. It really is more about the structure than the quality of brick when it comes to how roughly you can handle them. I didn't mean to imply otherwise with my anecdote, I was only illustrating one recent example of LEGO falling short of my vaunted memories, while Mega Bloks continues to surprise and impress me.

Clutch and durability would be hard to compare, and you could very well be right to put your money on LEGO. But I'll tell you what...

There are a lot of things in life that you can pay a little more for, and get a little extra. In a lot of cases that extra money is worth that little bit of added luxury. When it comes to LEGO and Mega Bloks, I could pay considerably more for comparable, though smaller, LEGO offerings and maybe get a slightly higher quality plastic, with an undeniably tighter clutch. But there are luxuries of Mega Bloks that just don't exist in LEGO form, and they're the kind I value, which I can get with less money.

Ultimately it all comes down to taste, I guess. Just as the Mega Bloks aesthetic fails to appeal to you, the LEGO aesthetic--while quaint and timeless--doesn't do what I want, while Mega Bloks does. Mega Bloks Dragons, especially the orginal series of sets, look, feel and build in a way I absolutely love over anything I've experienced with my many years of LEGO fun. I buy Mega Bloks because they do appeal to me. The lower price is just means I can buy even more.

Bruce N H, thanks to you too!

"On the whole we're a friendly bunch." I would say so. I've never seen such a welcoming response, especially considering the circumstances.

I've lurked around quite a bit and I've seen how right you are about your fellow's sometimes harshly critical responses to decisions from the LEGO company. I can relate 100%. One company I can attest to having a fan affinity for is Nintendo, and just about everything they've done in recent years is every bit as disheartening and even more senile than anything LEGO has done. I don't know if you know anything about gaming, but the situation of LEGO and Nintendo is strikingly similar. The "selling out" I mentioned ealier is one example. Mario is appearing in every game genre where he doesn't belong, now, like a life-like basketball game. :(

When fans like you hold up the promise of Vikings, it parallels the way a Nintendo fan only point to the next Zelda. You're right, though, the Vikings sets do look fantastic, and I suspect they'll be the first LEGO series I just can't resist since as far back as the original LEGO pirates.

I have to say, though, nothing about Knights Kingdom, /II, or the related chess set works for me on any level. It's the diametric opposite of everything I love about Mega Bloks Dragons.

Also, I agree that mixing LEGO and Dragons usually turns out awefully garish. The Vikings, though, might better allow a little mingling for those that are willing.

wizardnoob28, there are a few Dragons sets I never bought (like Dragon Slayer and Vorgan Attack), but all the sets I do own do come with instructions. They would be completely baffeling if they didn't. This doesn't include the War Chests, which don't really need anything since they're small, simple sets of a few parts and a few knights. But I'm pretty sure even those coe with simple instructions that I have stored away.
eNiGMa
Justiciar

Post by eNiGMa »

garsh wrote:Some of the sets you compared to illustrate "more for my money" are a little confusing. For instance, are you suggesting you would prefer Citadel of Orlan (LEGO 8780) to Portal of Fire (Mega Bloks 9889) even if they were both LEGO? I haven't seen them side by side, of course, but I'm pretty sure Portal of Fire would more or less dwarf Citadel of Orlan.
I think what JasonSpears was saying is that the piece count is higher for Citadel of Orlan than it is for Portal of Fire. Citadel has 442 pieces, while Portal only has 170 pieces for pretty much the same price. If you get more pieces, I don't think size should matter. But I'm starting to debate instead of welcome you, so I'll just stop there to uphold the spirit of this thread.

btw, I actually am learning a lot about Megabloks.
Nathan Cunningham
[url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com]Blog[/url] | [url=https://www.facebook.com/nathan.cunningham.9]Facebook[/url] | [url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html]MOCs[/url]
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

garsh wrote:The general comparison I made in my original post was one based on overall result more than price-per-brick or weight comparison. When I build a Mega Bloks Dragons castle I end up with a large, impressive, dramatic model that visually demolishes anything from LEGO. And that's besides the bonuses like the enormous dragons themselves with light-up features and so on. Not that something like that is necessarily relevant to any LEGO purist, and I can understand that perfectly.

And I'm only comparing prices that I have personal experience with. By that I mean LEGO castles that cost $50+ 10-15 or more years ago are miniscule and bland compared to an average Mega Bloks Dragons castle that I can buy for that same price now--all these years of inflation later--and often for less. LEGO, on the other hand, has just gotten smaller and more expensive.
What SORT of bloks come with Mega? If it's anything like it was ten years ago, when our house got its only Mega model, then there are a lot of pre-moulds, big pieces with only one function. Rather disheartening when one wants to build.

Of course, that is only of our gripes about LEGO these days, but my understanding is that it is even worse with Mega than with LEGO.

Not, of course, that I have any personal experience of a recent nature to go by...
garsh
Serf

Post by garsh »

eNiGMa, I made the same assumption as you about what JasonSpears was trying to compare. The problem is he's comparing raw brick numbers, when I'm comparing satisfaction. That little LEGO citadel doesn't even much resemble a medieval structure, if it didn't have a name, I would think it was some kind of crazy space station. Really crazy. When you look at Portal of Fire, there's no question you're looking at a fortress with walls of stone.

Now, if you're buying for brick count--just so you can get more building material--it makes perfect sense to buy an ugly, unsatisfying model that you don't even want for the model itself. By that logic, he's perfectly correct to say my contention that Mega Bloks give me "more for my money" is less valid.

If you're buying for bricks alone it doesn't matter if you really do buy a space themed model for its grey bricks (which I have done). And this actually leads into another Mega Bloks difference that's extremely relevant when it comes to which a person might prefer.

As Formendacil pointed out, there are a lot of pre-fabricated elements in Mega Bloks. Most people tend to think it's a higher ratio than in LEGO, and it's hard to compare side-by-side, since LEGO has been pre-fabbing all along, too. It may just be that it goes less noticed and is less of a hinderance to free-form LEGO builders than in Mega Bloks.

The reason for that would be that in Mega Bloks sets the pre-fabricated elements are obviously, unmistakably, what they look like. By that I mean that a large stone canyon wall element is obviously that and can likely stand-in for nothing else. Likewise a Mega Bloks Dragons tree trunk looks exactly like what it is, and can be nothing else. The Dragons baseplate is clearly grass green on dirt brown or suit grey (among a variety of other kinds).

That means that you can't--for example--buy a Mega Bloks robot and add to it with as many Mega Bloks castle pieces as freely as you could when using the LEGO system.

LEGO has been limiting themselves in the same way more and more in recent years. At one time the corner elements used to round otherwise square castle walls seldom had a painted decoration on them. Now, more often, you find a brick pattern painted on. Suddenly that element is useful for little else than a stone brick wall. It can no longer gracefully be part of a space station.

Mega Bloks is probably still more restrictive in this way. For instance there are many brown wooden elements that are large and have wood grain on them, so you can't use them for dirt, for instance, despite their being brown. This restriction doesn't hinder me, I think, because I actually want all of those things to look like what they are.

More importantly, I have no need for them to look like anything else. I'm not going to suddenly decide I want to use all of my Dragons elements to build a modern city, for example. But if I did, there are a number of elements that can migrate nicely. It's been done already from Dragons to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Command Ops and then some.

As Mega Bloks gains more share in the market, they've been expanding their range of elements and they're beginning to catch-up. If they keep at it, they'll have as flexible a system as LEGO before we know it.

And Formendacil, even though I have a lot of experience in both LEGO and Mega Bloks, it's a tough call even for me to say which is less restrictive with its pre-fabricated molds. I'm gonna go ahead and say LEGO offers the greater freedom all around either way--at the very least it did at one time. That's why I think most of you will be stuck with the look of LEGO whether you like it or not. Even though LEGO might not always look as cool as some Mega Bloks, you have more readily available parts of the kind you might need to build more intricate free-form models in the LEGO system.

Again, that restriction doesn't apply to me as I actually appreciate the hybridization of Mega Bloks between the free-form building experience provided by LEGO and the more detailed, customizable play-set style of something like Playmobil.

It's like having really nice, gloomy looking Playmobil with many of the advantages of LEGO.

By the way, eNiGMa, I'm not offended if you debate, I'm really enjoying sharing what I know about Mega Bloks with those of you here. I doubt any of you will rush out and buy a bunch of Pyrates sets after my lengthy diatribes, but at least you might understand the reasoning for someone else's Mega Bloks preference. Even if you don't agree with me, you'll at the very least feel more secure in your decision to stick with your favorite for the right reasons. Maybe.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Hello garsh,

Welcome to C-C. You have brought up some valid points that ring true for both Megabloks and TLC. LEGO as a company has fallen behind in terms of set design and overall "wow" factor. Megabloks has definitely filled the void over the last few years. I am sad to see LEGO lose shelf space, but perhaps we are now seeing signs TLC is waking up to the fact they need to put out better sets. One can hope so anyway.

My collection is "pure", but I have let a few Dragons find their way into my home. My son loves the Dragons from the line, so I ended up buying him the 4-pack of Dragons. I can say the although the plastic does leave a little to be desired, the overall quality of the Dragons was good. I was also impressed with the minifigs. I must admit I have been sorely tempted to buy some of the new minifig packs to build armies with. I probably won't go that far, but I can definitely understand your point of view.

So welcome to C-C, keep your armies huge and your castles immense. :wink:

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.