Castle accessory review: Shortsword

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Jansen
Steward
Location: Pondering the paradox of organic American cheese...

Castle accessory review: Shortsword

Post by Jansen »

Hello,
Join the (unofficial) castle accessory review! Please post your opinion on the accessory's design, realism, color(s), etc; This weeks accessory is the classic shortsword:
The shortsword was first released in 1978 in the "Yellow Castle". It also comes in 2 other colors, light grey and black. This weapon was later molded with polypropylene.

Bye,
Jansen
Last edited by Jansen on Tue May 09, 2006 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"An apple a day keeps people deathly-allergic to apples away."
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/gusalagupagoo/]flickr[/url]
smcginnis
Justiciar

Post by smcginnis »

I love this piece. Are you going to do two reviews for this sword (ABS and polypropylene versions), or are they considered the same by you?

Anyway, as I said, I love this piece. Why? Well, for starters, it just looks really cool (unlike some other pieces I could mention). Also, it looks, at least to me, quite realistic (for a toy). The colors are great, the shape is very nice, and I just think it's a great piece.

~smcginnis
Learning French.

Say it "ESS-MICK-GIN-ISS", with a hard "G", as in "get".

I'm a Pumpkin.

[url=http://www.freerice.com/]Free Rice[/url]
stawastawa
Laborer

Post by stawastawa »

love it although sometimes i think it is a bit wide. and i want a scabbard =p
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

It actually first came out in 1978 in 375 [Yellow] Castle. The swords were light grey through 1983. From 1984-1992 the swords were dark grey abs. Beginning with Dragon Master's in 1993 the swords were made of polypropylene in a newer mold. This mold has a dimple on the hilt right below the cross guard. There was also a abs black sword that came out in 6041 Armor Shop in 1986. The Black Falcon's Fortress Legend (10039) came with light grey polypropylene short swords.

I do not mind users making review threads about minifigures or castle elements. But please research the topic and post it's history and information instead of just posting a picture. Anyone can do that fairly easily. Thanks.

Modified or customized versions of this sword do not belong in this thread or forum but in the Castle Customs forum.

Ben
CC Sets Admin
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

I suppose I'm swimming upstream against a downpour and flood of perceptions, but it's a broadsword, not a short sword. It's perceived of as a short sword because of later designs. It also looks stumpy because of its extreme width in proportion to its length. Nevertheless, it's a broadsword.

(insert rolling eyes here as TwoTonic clearly has had one too many) :wink:

The big round "point" seems to go along with all those vacuous smiley faces that adorned the figs of the time. Stubby little guys with stubby-looking swords. It fits the barding holders and doesn't overpower the fig, something that is lacking in more than one later design. It's blandly non-specific, but it fits in well.

I prefer the early, harder material for both aesthetic and practical (customization) reasons.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
LegoAddict
Peasant

Post by LegoAddict »

I like the sword. It is pretty perfect compared to the new KK2 swords. Anyways I think its a great sword in that it isnt overly detailed or unrealalist in colour. I have an over abundance of these things so I dont have a whole lot of bad to say about them other then they could be just a bit thinner.

Kyle
NinthCircle
Villein

Post by NinthCircle »

Eh. I suppose I can't look at this sword objectively as I'm so nostalgic for the original castle line. I suppose that Two Tonic Knight's point is accurate. It is kinda bland as were generic smilie heads. I think that blandness allowed more figures to be included in each set as they, and their weapons, were very generic because they were cheaper to manufacture. I loved getting 12 figures in a set.

That said, it has a generally nice proportion to the figs and the "holsters" on the saddles. I like that the points on the hilt and handle allow it to be plugged into a hollow stud. I use to find that very useful. These swords certainly whoop the tookus's of the KKII swords (which look more like space weapons than anything else). Yeah, I would prefer the tip not be rounded but It's like Star Wars, you can point out all its flaws and I'll still love it because it was a part of my childhood.
The Hordesman
Merchant

Post by The Hordesman »

Perhaps not as realistic as the new spetum, but close enough and looks good. Woe upon KK2 ESA swords.

I agree with TTK, its a broadsword!

I hope noone makes a review for KK2 swords, We've discussed them enough already and we know what grade the majority will give them. :wink:
[url=http://s14.invisionfree.com/brick_central/index.php?act=idx]Brick Central[/url]
[url=http://s13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World.php?act=idx]Castle World, for your Lego castle stories![/url]
Cyclonis
Bailiff

Post by Cyclonis »

Hmm, I feel that these accesory reviews will only go for so long until we've ran out of weapons and accesories to review.

Anyway, back to topic - This is the best medieval-based weapon that Lego has produced. It's better than the spears and the greatsword, and heck, we all know its way better than KK2 swords (don't get me started on them) So I say its the best Lego weapon.

But I ask - whats the difference between the ABS broad/short/small sword and the polypropylene one?

-Cyclonis
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Jojo has this picture of the different types of swords.

The first, third, and fifth swords are abs. You can see how they reflect the light. The second and fourth are poly and have the dimple and less reflective surface.

Ben
Anubisconq
Bailiff

Post by Anubisconq »

Yes for classic swords!

I like the old ones, but not the new polywhatever ones.

P.S. Why is everyone starting unofficial reviews of things? :?
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

This is probably my favorite weapon. It is so versatile and generic, it goes with just about anyone. Also, it's a better size than the other swords.
Anubisconq wrote:Why is everyone starting unofficial reviews of things? :?
Probably because they want to see something that hasn't been done officially. I think its a good thing. If someone thinks there is something specific lack in the community, they should go ahead and fill in that lack. That is exactly why I agreed to run the Battles Contest. A strong community has lots of "unofficial" things going on. It shows that the "official" people (Admins and Mods) aren't the only ones contributing.

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
baniaj2
Villein

Post by baniaj2 »

This is by far my favorite sword, nice and generic, and compared to later attempts, scaling it to the figures was perfect...
InquisitorW
Serf

Post by InquisitorW »

Yeah, I love the old-style swords. Much better than the power-ranger swords we're getting fed now. Wondering if Lego'll bring them back full-time at some point...
Shurtugal
Bailiff
Location: On the Albertan Prairies, listening to some slow country music

Post by Shurtugal »

Once again, I've really missed out on the good stuff. My first castle set was a Dragon Master's in '93, so I have three dark grey polypoopelenee ones. I still think they are the best weapons I have.

P.S. I see no dimple :?:
~Andrew C.

[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php]MOCpages![/url]

Eka ai fricai un Shur'tugal! I am a Rider and a friend!