Modern Weapons for Minifigs by 'BrickArms'

Discussion of general LEGO topics
ragnarok
Bailiff

Post by ragnarok »

The weapons are nice but they don't seem to fit in none of the classic LEGO themes. May be it would be better if you make some helmets, flakjackets.

The Little Armory is really setting a standart there but I believe there are more than enough AFOLs to allow space for competition.

Offtopic: The AK reminds me of yet another nightwatch coming up :?
BrickArms
Gong Farmer

Post by BrickArms »

Blasterman wrote:
Either way, you've entered a different world now. A world of cut-throat tactics, knock-off wannabes, and the possibility of direct competition around every corner. All this, over minifig accessories.

Just informing you, and good luck.
'Cut-throat tactics'? Sounds like you have a few battle scars. Next time you're up in the Pacific Northwest, I'll buy you a beer and you can tell me all about it!

Honestly, I was just hoping to be able to create some high-quality weapons, like yours, that my son could play with - in quantity. Then, the word got out and once people saw the samples, I was swamped with requests! Now everyone wants them. I'm guessing this sounds familiar?

I'm not looking to make a living off of these. I took no shortcuts when making my high-quality mold. It can produce 1 million parts without needing repair. To break even sometime soon would be nice, though. If not, c'est la vie.

I have my entire business automated - from procurement, to ordering, to fulfillment, so the normal tedium of running an operation like this is removed (Ebay SDK-API integration really helps!).

BTW - Are you friends with the Red Bean team? I found them on MCN, and their stuff looks pretty professional as well.

---Will
BrickArms
Gong Farmer

Post by BrickArms »

ragnarok wrote:The weapons are nice but they don't seem to fit in none of the classic LEGO themes. May be it would be better if you make some helmets, flakjackets.
My thoughts exactly, but my current mold is limited to a planar parting line which precludes producing a good helmet (imagine the parting line running around the curving rim of a helmet).

You should see the list of requests I get for weapons and accessories - walkie-talkies, field radios, grenades, sniper rifles, WW1, WW2, Korean war, Vietnam War, heavy machine guns. The list is endless! Luckily, I have plenty of room in my mold to add more items. :)
ragnarok wrote: The Little Armory is really setting a standart there but I believe there are more than enough AFOLs to allow space for competition.
LA's item quality is nice, but I am actually chasing LEGO quality. They have always been the "high-bar" as far as I'm concerned.

Note: After examining some newer LEGO items, I'm not certain they have the same quality control they once had. The new Tommy-gun and Uzi weapons show signs of poor molding. Examine them closely. Look for a telltale "sinking", or divot in the plastic right above the handle. This is an indication of a poor "pack out" during molding, where the mold pressure is reduced allowing shrinkage. Sloppy! They also show "pull scratching", or small scrapes, on vertical surfaces indicating a sub-par separation from the mold - typical of poor "draft" (amount of slope in the mold surfaces).

But, this is probably more than most of you are interested in. For me, now that I know how Plastic Injection Molding is done, I don't see things in the same way I used to. If you want something that will really blow your mind, take a look at the new large engine housing from the new white passenger jet #7893, and try to figure out how that compound sliding mold was made!

---Will
Blasterman
Steward

Post by Blasterman »

LA's item quality is nice, but I am actually chasing LEGO quality. They have always been the "high-bar" as far as I'm concerned.
Maybe in general, because of the amount of product they have. If you look at a Lego sword, then mine - no contest. I own that "high bar".
You should see the list of requests I get for weapons and accessories
Trust me...I've heard it all, from day one. Get used to it though, it really never ends. Maybe you'll get the infamous "Jango's wrist dart thing". It would be so small that it would get lost in 20 sec., therefore needing to be replaced. Hmmm...sounds a lot like job security.
Rayhawk
Peasant

Post by Rayhawk »

BrickArms wrote:
Blasterman wrote:Either way, you've entered a different world now. A world of cut-throat tactics, knock-off wannabes, and the possibility of direct competition around every corner. All this, over minifig accessories.
'Cut-throat tactics'? Sounds like you have a few battle scars. Next time you're up in the Pacific Northwest, I'll buy you a beer and you can tell me all about it!
Hey, now I'm curious too. I didn't think Little Armory had any competitors from whom cutthroat tactics might be an issue.
erikut
Steward

Post by erikut »

Im not sure wether i posted here before, If i have i have to say it again, you'r stuff is avesome, if i never posted anything in this topic before, I have to say, you'r stuff is avesome!

Now, to my question. Would it be possible for you to send your stuff to Norway? I Don't have any mony now, but someday, someday I will, then im most probably boing to but some of you'r stuff.

Erik
jon_p
Artisan

Post by jon_p »

Just to say, I received my order today (6 pack) and they are great! The pieces are so clean and look great with minifigs, so basically to anyone who was thinking of ordering go ahead!
"We dine well here in Camelot, we eat ham and jam and spam alot!"

My Brickshelf gallery - http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=85183
BrickArms
Gong Farmer

Post by BrickArms »

jastermereel wrote:Wow, those are excellent. If would've known that these were back in stock, I'd be definately buying these instead of a recent bricklink order. Oh well. :(
Bummer! I suppose I should have circled back and let everyone know I was open for business, but i was trying to be respectful of this forum and not blow my trumpet too loudly. After all, this is "Classic-Castle" is it not? ;)

Thanks for you interest, and I look forward to your order.

---Will Chapman
BrickArms LLC