Heresy

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Christopher McCleerey
Peasant

Post by Christopher McCleerey »

This is so off topic but... Yes! I know this!
If this long response suprises you just remember; Crud is my middle name.

Anyway:
They were called Garderobes and were:

"found in different locations and usually projected over a blind wall, like a window box. The garderobe was outfitted with a small bench with a round opening on the seat, which, more often than not, opened directly over the moat[if the castle had a moat]. Wherever a primitive sewage system had been installed, the waste was born down to the lowest level of the tower, which acted as a large cesspool and obviously could not be used as the dungeons of 19th century romance[the writer seemed upset with the idea of prison dungeons below castles and he put the idea down in several places throught his book :lol: ]. About twice a year the peasants would have to clean out the cesspool."
quoted from The Medieval Fortress by J.E. Kaufmann & H.W. Kaufmann with illustrations by Robert M. Jurga

There is also a depiction of a garderobe that is a tower-like structure which is seperate from the keep/castle and is accessable only by a longish bridge structure that goes to the top of that wonderful place.

The peasants sure had it rough. Add that on to cleaning stalls... ugh. Hmmm... more motivation for TLC to recreate the pitchfork?

From wlister:
proper names for the collection and removal of waste
:oops: HA! Let's not mention those here!
(just kidding dude) :wink:
I didn't know they had a name. What could it be? I think it would be best if I didn't guess.

(Actualy Crud isn't my middle name. Just so you all know. No I'm serious! Aww come on, guys, ya gotta believe me! *sigh* Never mind) :roll:
C
A cartographer's end:
"Here be dragons!"
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

Teh Stud
Bailiff

Post by Teh Stud »

From Stephen Biesty's Cross-Sections Castle:
Emptying the latrine pit was an unpleasant and unhealthy task. The unfortunate worker with the bucket and spade was called a "gong farmer". Gong Farmers kept life in the castle comfortable - or at least bearable.
Also:
Latrines - This part of the gatehouse tower contained some of the castle's toilets.
For those of you interested, the picture shows these latrines emptying out the side and into the moat.

Other latrines in the castle empty into a lower room, where the gong farmer empties them out.... Suffice it to say, the gong farmer seems to be the lowest on the food chain. :lol:
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Some latrines easily emptied into the outside:

Must have been a pain in the *megabloks* in winter.

Bye
Jojo

Christopher McCleerey
Peasant

Post by Christopher McCleerey »

This be an informative read.
:lol:
C
A cartographer's end:
"Here be dragons!"
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Now I need to build a few of these and make a couple gong farmers, that should be some building entertainment. :D

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

wlister wrote:Now I need to build a few of these and make a couple gong farmers, that should be some building entertainment. :D
Ahhh simple pleasures :P
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Still wishing you weren't a castle head? :D

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=62483

Seriously - these rock anthony. You are a man of many themes I see. hmm - better be careful or you'll convince some people to go back to space.. not me of course, but some of the weaker willed folk. :D

Freak
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

*gasp* must - resist - temptation

Aggggh

Really, those torsos look good.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Very Nice Torsos Anthony,

You have some definite skills there. Any chance you could do the town overalls torso with different colored shirts, I can't draw them to save my life and I am working on some Custom Mario and Luigi figs for the haunted house I am building for my son's xmas present. It'll definitely have a castle flavor to it so I may post it once its done. It would be sweet if I could print the torsos. I am experimenting with paint, but so far I have ruined 3 torsos. :(

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

hmm - better be careful or you'll convince some people to go back to space
Exactly! Pleeeease Mr. Sava, don't post such as these on an open forum. I mean, they should be password-protected so that only die-hard Castleheads could see them! :lol: Oh, well, these are great! Did anybody notice all the gray bricks? When I noticed it I thought "MegaBloks, he should be a Castle builder!" Imagine all that creativity applied to a castle! Btw, one question; could anyone tell me what brick he used as the base for his toilet? It looked something like an inverted slope with a rounded top. I couldn't see it very well, though, because of the angle of the picture. I thought perhaps someone has seen a part like that before and recognized it. Thanks!

Mr. D
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Re: Heresy

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Devari wrote:
Ahhh!!!! That is two to burn! :lol:
http://www.mocpages.com/folder.php/658?r=495006946

:shock: dang...I gotta lie low here...

Maybe Lenny, Anthony and I could form an alliance...
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Hey,

I'll admit to building outside the fold as well:
http://www.ozbricks.net/bricktales/misc/miscmain.html

Bruce
Dan_BL
Apprentice

Post by Dan_BL »

Bruce N H wrote:Hey,

I'll admit to building outside the fold as well:
http://www.ozbricks.net/bricktales/misc/miscmain.html

Bruce
Heh....me too:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/DLM/s ... r_1997.jpg

:roll:

This was actually by first MOC when I was.......9. Back then I was pretty spacy.

Dan
sklar
Serf

Post by sklar »

As a recently converted space'er, I must say, I find it easyer to build space MOCs, because there is less limitation. Sure, I have to remember to include the Hyperdrive, or fussion-reactor, the life-support, and all the other technical systems, but form, size, shape, and color, it's all up to me. In castle, there's not much. I just do prefer space. *avoids heavy objects being thrown*
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=dudefzs