Clean up our forum!

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Found one. The newest user's website is a bad-un. Would recommend deleting quickly.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

I'm just curious... is this something that's always been around but has intensified recently? Or does it just seem that way because of this thread? I had no idea that these users were coming on and referencing thier @#*! sites... (shows how effective they were ;-))
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

ottoatm wrote:I'm just curious... is this something that's always been around but has intensified recently? Or does it just seem that way because of this thread? I had no idea that these users were coming on and referencing thier @#*! sites... (shows how effective they were ;-))
good question. I am with you, had no clue as to they were even here. I mean I saw one actually spam the boards one time I think, but paid no mind I guess
Troy
King Mnementh the Bronze
King Mnementh the Bronze

Post by Troy »

ottoatm wrote:I'm just curious... is this something that's always been around but has intensified recently? Or does it just seem that way because of this thread? I had no idea that these users were coming on and referencing thier @#*! sites... (shows how effective they were ;-))
It has always been an issue. It goes in spurts, as the software gets updated to prevent it, then the spammers come up with new ways to get around it.

We had a bunch of them, then saw it drop off when I banned the entire Hotmail domain.

We had a bunch of them, then say it drop off when we started requiring e-mail activation. This has been most effective at preventing the majority of the spammers from actually POSTING. The majority of them only clog up the member list.

This latest batch took a little longer to get to, because the upgrade to the latest version caused some unexpected problems. As in it prevented anyone from logging into the administration panel! It took a couple days to get this fixed.

The system now supports some visual confirmation when signing up new members, where you are shown a picture and have to type in the charachters you see. This will hopefully help with the spam bots. It requires some manual modifications to our templates though, so it will take a couple days for me to get it set up.

Troy
Visit Troy's Surplus LEGO
http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=mnementh
The Hordesman
Merchant

Post by The Hordesman »

I think its time all admins and mods go a daily rutine checking out the links used by new users who hasnt posted yet.
[url=http://s14.invisionfree.com/brick_central/index.php?act=idx]Brick Central[/url]
[url=http://s13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World.php?act=idx]Castle World, for your Lego castle stories![/url]
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

I think its time all admins and mods go a daily rutine checking out the links used by new users who hasnt posted yet.
I agree absoulutely, and I've said this before myslef.
We had a bunch of them, then say it drop off when we started requiring e-mail activation. This has been most effective at preventing the majority of the spammers from actually POSTING.
Truly genius!
The system now supports some visual confirmation when signing up new members, where you are shown a picture and have to type in the charachters you see. This will hopefully help with the spam bots.
Also, truly genius!

We all must be grateful to the admins for coming up with various ways to defend us against all these Internet saddos!
Found one. The newest user's website is a bad-un. Would recommend deleting quickly.

Dan
I can't see any new users with any websites at all...
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Well, out pure boredumb, I was checking the most recent users, when I can across an interesting site. The fourth most recent joiner (godly1), the third most recent (godly2) and the second most recent (FUBU) all have the same location: In front of my PC, as always. They were the same, the comma, the capitalization of the "pc", everything. Whats more, when I looked into each of the profiles for the three, it read, Occupation: Teenager, Interests: LEGO, PCs, warhammer, Perhaps FUBU tried logging on before, in two different accounts, and something happened?

Thought that maybe the admins should know about this, strangeness.

I build, therefore I am.

Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Oh, and our two newest members, softarmy and dicsh, both have questionable websites in their profiles.

I build, therefore I am.

Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

Robin Hood wrote:Oh, and our two newest members, softarmy and dicsh, both have questionable websites in their profiles.

Yes, they are advertisers. They should be deleted.
babyjawa
Steward

Post by babyjawa »

Umm... softarmy the latest member is advertising to a website called softarmy. I think he should be deleted.
My life is based on a true story.
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

babyjawa wrote:Umm... softarmy the latest member is advertising to a website called softarmy. I think he should be deleted.
And the previous one, he is also advertising a website.