Building my Skellie Army

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Doctor Sinister
Freeman

Building my Skellie Army

Post by Doctor Sinister »

Well, here is my modest Skeleton Army (so far) ready to do battle!

http://www.shush-its-secret.demon.co.uk ... ellies.jpg

And here are their opponents - the proud Army of the Crown!

http://www.shush-its-secret.demon.co.uk ... ownies.jpg

I'm hoping to make it even larger but Mrs S is getting a bit annoyed that my LEGO has spread from the garage, to my office, to the living room and now the dining room - a tactical withdrawal may be needed... :lol:

Dr. S.
www.tabletown.co.uk
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Armies are not exactly Castle sets and are more appropriate in the Castle Mocs forum. I will move this thread there.

Ben
CC Sets Admin
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Good collection so far. Keep building it up!
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Aliencat
Josh's Minion

Post by Aliencat »

Yay for crownies. Nice armies there :)
You see, I'd like to build up my crown knight army, they're cool, but I don't like the skellies. Most (I think all, even) sets with crownies also have skellies.
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/30639040@N02/albums]MOCs[/url]

[img]http://stopthetrack.com/lego/embassy/alienambassadorpng.png[/img]
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

I really like these armies, and I may have to steal some of your arrangement ideas. I really like your use of the archers on the flanks instead of in a row. Also, I like the added touch of the flag amongst the cavalry. Nice work!
The dark tide
Gentleman

Post by The dark tide »

You have a good start here. Are you using the chess sets to build it up? I wish the skellies in the chess sets were white instead of black. Thats the only thing that kept me from buying them.
"The sky grows black...shadow falls...the Dark Tide comes..."

[Edgar J.]
Doctor Sinister
Freeman

Re: ................................

The dark tide wrote:You have a good start here. Are you using the chess sets to build it up? I wish the skellies in the chess sets were white instead of black. Thats the only thing that kept me from buying them.
Yes, one Chess set went into the mix - the rest are all from sets, I've got all this year's sets plus some duplicates. I agree about the white skellies, but the way it' worked out, the black ones are my shock troops - ground assault guys, useful for assaulting a Castle at night! The white ones man defences, ride horses and things like that.

Dr. S.
www.tabletown.co.uk
Doctor Sinister
Freeman

Spongey wrote:I really like these armies, and I may have to steal some of your arrangement ideas. I really like your use of the archers on the flanks instead of in a row. Also, I like the added touch of the flag amongst the cavalry. Nice work!
Yeah, I dunno if it's a sound tactic or not, I figured Archers on the flanks could harass approaching infantry whilst the main force engages, although doing it that way prevents any option for encirclement of the enemy as the Archers can't perform in a melee action. Perhaps the Archers should be in the middle to fix the enemy with two infantry forces either side to crush the enemy in a pincer movement... Or perhaps I'm over analysing this... :?

And I gave my head Knight the flag so he can rally the troops - they need to be able to see the colours at all times.

Dr. S.
www.tabletown.co.uk
HeartOfDarkness
Reeve

Post by HeartOfDarkness »

I usually place my archers and artillery on one flank, with my cavalry on the other. However, recently I've been sending them to the front as skirmishers. I pair them with spearmen and have them advance in loose order to weaken the enemy line before it clashes with my foot soldiers. I have to keep heavy cavalry nearby to dissuade enemy cavalry, but I usually engage my cavalry early anyway. Of course, my brother is more of a 'git 'er done' type of tactician, not much of a stategist, so I can't really say how well it would work against a good tactician.
Doctor Sinister
Freeman

HeartOfDarkness wrote:I usually place my archers and artillery on one flank, with my cavalry on the other. However, recently I've been sending them to the front as skirmishers. I pair them with spearmen and have them advance in loose order to weaken the enemy line before it clashes with my foot soldiers. I have to keep heavy cavalry nearby to dissuade enemy cavalry, but I usually engage my cavalry early anyway. Of course, my brother is more of a 'git 'er done' type of tactician, not much of a stategist, so I can't really say how well it would work against a good tactician.
In a real scenario your archers would be wiped out. They aren't equipped for skirmishing - it's best to keep them out of the way of trouble. At Crecy, English and Welsh archers dug pits in front of their positions with wooden stakes to dissuade enemy cavalry. They wiped out the French from afar. I visited Crecy recently - and in a separate thingy I did, got to fire a Longbow!

Dr. S.
www.tabletown.co.uk
HeartOfDarkness
Reeve

Post by HeartOfDarkness »

However, the British emplyed skirmishers (riflemen) in the Napoleonic Wars to great effect. They were able to pick off officers from afar and weaken any attack. My men's jobs are to stay in front until the enemy gets too close, then retreat under cover of a counteradvance. Against enemy cavalry, I have no defense but my own cavalry.

Besides, in a real scenario, I'd probably be wiped out anyway by employing little plastic men as my soldiers. :wink:
SgtDuckMan
Villein

Post by SgtDuckMan »

what sets d oyou got there and how many of each
PunkRockCowboy
Apprentice

Post by PunkRockCowboy »

Dude that looks awesome! I'd be willing to send you some more Crown Knights and Skellies if your wife doesn't want you spending money we could trade.
sidewinderl
Laborer

Post by sidewinderl »

Might as well post here instead of starting another topic. Here's my current crown knight army (arrangement mostly for storage considerations): http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/si ... ics002.jpg

All the mounted knights have bardings (though i only have one of the really good "silver" crown knight bardings)...I'll start filling out the infantry ranks when the impulse set is out. Not worried about supplying shields to all my infantry yet cause I'll have plenty of spares when i turn a bunch of impulse soldiers into bowmen.

I don't collect the skeleton faction, but I do like their shields....I plan on using those for a faction called the Death Corps (Final Fantasy Tactics is my all-time favorite game :P ....even bought a PSP just so i could play the newly remastered version).
Doctor Sinister
Freeman

sidewinderl wrote:Might as well post here instead of starting another topic. Here's my current crown knight army (arrangement mostly for storage considerations): http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/si ... ics002.jpg

All the mounted knights have bardings (though i only have one of the really good "silver" crown knight bardings)...I'll start filling out the infantry ranks when the impulse set is out. Not worried about supplying shields to all my infantry yet cause I'll have plenty of spares when i turn a bunch of impulse soldiers into bowmen.

I don't collect the skeleton faction, but I do like their shields....I plan on using those for a faction called the Death Corps (Final Fantasy Tactics is my all-time favorite game :P ....even bought a PSP just so i could play the newly remastered version).
Nice lot of mounted Knights there! I too plan on filling out my infantry with the impulse sets, but I don't have any plans to get more cavalry at this time.

Dr. S.
www.tabletown.co.uk