The demon of Basementonia - Coleoidea

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
doc069
Bailiff

The demon of Basementonia - Coleoidea

Post by doc069 »

This is my latest, procrastinate while I get motivated to build the behemoth that is Helm’s Deep, creation.

It is built to showcase the four-armed minifig; close-up photo here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/doc06 ... bishop.jpg

This creation is blended into our Basementonia storied castle genre. If you are interested in the story – then you can go to my mocpages here:
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/40552

Hope you enjoy his one - it is my first MOC for these pages. All credits are provided on my mocpages, but special nod goes to DARKspawn.

Sorry for the large photo size for those of you that do not use broadband, dial-up is probably better served at my mocpages site.

Regards,
Lee
"Rules are for the obedience of fools. And the guidance of wise men (& women)." Sir David Ogilvy (1911-1999)
Ser Loktar
Foot Soldier

Post by Ser Loktar »

Very nice. I've been following your work on MOCpages for a while now and love how you've managed to create such a enjoyable world. The kids must bring YOU to school for show and tell. :wink: Just curious but does your daughter enjoy the lego world you've created as much as you and your son or is this just an instance of 'Timmy gets a castle?!, well I want one too'. I ask as family friends I had as a child had 2 boys and a girl and the lady never really got on the lego bandwagon like her brothers did. Good to see families bonding over their love of lego, and Canadian families at that.
Keep up the build, Just don't buy ALL the lego on bricklink, :wink:
Ser Loktar
P.S. Good to see you here at CC
When I was a lad my mother told me that if I stood around all day with my mouth open a weasel was liable to mistake it for his den and jump right in. If you have something to say, say it, otherwise, beware of weasels.
GRRM
HeartOfDarkness
Reeve

Post by HeartOfDarkness »

I love it! The SNOTwork, the pentagram, the lighting, the design itself. Excellent!
The_Vanquished
Artisan

Post by The_Vanquished »

Wow, I've been following your creations on MOC pages also. I've seen you around CC too, but I never realized it was Lee Jones until now.

Awesome creation, I really like the the wall, faceless guards, bloody star, four armed minifig, and mostly everything else. I don't really like the trans red lightsaber handles for the Priestesses, I would rather see black ones. Not a big deal, though.
wrap me in a bolt of lightning,
send me on my way still smiling,
maybe that's the way i should go:
straight into the mouth of the unknown....
doc069
Bailiff

Post by doc069 »

Ser Loktar wrote:The kids must bring YOU to school for show and tell.
Actually, that happens once a year for each kid :D
Just curious but does your daughter enjoy the lego world you've created as much as you and your son or is this just an instance of 'Timmy gets a castle?!, well I want one too'.
To be honest - I am not sure. My daughter will certainly build and design (she loves to craft); however, I think she feels constrained by the pieces of Lego. With paper, etc she is the master and can bend them to whatever she wants. That being said, she is certainly keen to get her next pink castle together. We are waiting for several large (don't tell the wife) shipments of dark pink 1 x 3 bricks and 1 x 1 rounds to make curved walls. I depleted most of Bricklink of these pieces.

She is certainly daddies little girl, so maybe she is trying to please me rather than just have a castle because her brother does.
Keep up the build, Just don't buy ALL the lego on bricklink,
Shhhhhhh, don't let my wife know :)

Lee
"Rules are for the obedience of fools. And the guidance of wise men (& women)." Sir David Ogilvy (1911-1999)
doc069
Bailiff

Post by doc069 »

HeartOfDarkness wrote:I love it! The SNOTwork, the pentagram, the lighting, the design itself. Excellent!

I think I will try and lean-out the pentagram a bit, but time will tell.

I ordered a bunch of the 2 x 3 LED bricks to try and light-up some more of the scene so I don't have to rely on the sun.

Lee
doc069
Bailiff

Post by doc069 »

The_Vanquished wrote:but I never realized it was Lee Jones until now.
Yup, it is I.
I don't really like the trans red lightsaber handles for the Priestesses, I would rather see black ones.
You are correct, they would look better black, I gave the trans-red a shot because it is my favourite accent colour, but black is a better choice. :)

Lee
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

Great stuff! I like the demon, very reminicent of the works of Nannan, but very cool in it's own right. I like the pile of bones too. I like the brick work design on the rear wall but I guess I would have liked to have seen a smaller length of tile used, I think that might maximise the effect. My only real complaint is the "floor," I can't help but to think how cool it would look if it were tiles or you had used a SNOT solution to smooth it out... Great work
doc069
Bailiff

Post by doc069 »

DARKspawn wrote:I like the brick work design on the rear wall but I guess I would have liked to have seen a smaller length of tile used, I think that might maximise the effect.
You are right, I just did not have enough of the smaller technic bricks to build the wall with. Unfortunately, Bricklink and shipping was not fast enough to get them here in time for this build :(

My only real complaint is the "floor," I can't help but to think how cool it would look if it were tiles or you had used a SNOT solution to smooth it out... Great work
Again, you are right. I kicked myself at every stage for not making the floor in a SNOT style. I could tile it still, and I may.

Initially I created the floor just to see how think a 'plate' would have to be to support an army. It then took on a life of its own as I built the scene for the Bishop.

Thanks for you input, it is reassuring when people suggest changes that I had thought of as well.

Lee
jangofett14
Apprentice

Post by jangofett14 »

:shock: COOL! :shock:
Greate Job, How do you Make THIS ?
Pentagram, monster and statue's are very nice. Ilike blood... :twisted:
My rate 6/6
\m/ ^^ \m/
Last edited by jangofett14 on Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=filozof33]My Gallery[/url] | In Progress - CCC VI
doc069
Bailiff

Post by doc069 »

jangofett14 wrote::shock: COOL! :shock:
Greate Job, How do you kake this
I measured and marked, then measured and marked, then measured and marked, and then I drilled the holes with a power drill.

The 'studs' that hold the hip/leg assemble to the torso were cut close to in half so as to pass over the new arm/shoulder joints.

Lee
Sir Nelson
Old Wizard

Post by Sir Nelson »

Nice! I never knew you Skeletons had so much blood in them... but that part of your tilework is very good. Good luck with the rest of the floor. :)
"Old Wizards never die, nor fade away. They just kind of operate behind the scenes and in the shadows... doing all of their weird and wonderful Wizardy things and whatnot."
Shoes
Laborer

Post by Shoes »

That's one interesting creature thats stuck in the wall there....
When life gives you lemons... Throw 'em back and demand for chocolate!

Fact: I'm faster than 80% of all snakes
The dark tide
Gentleman

Post by The dark tide »

I like it a lot. The names you have are hilarious, especially the name for your evil wizard, heh. The evil tentacle beast is nice as well and the priest you have serve well to "spookify" the scene. I have a summoning scene I have been meaning to post but for some reason my computer wont dedect the card the pics are on. Hope to see more from you soon.
"The sky grows black...shadow falls...the Dark Tide comes..."

[Edgar J.]
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Cool squid thing on that wall.

Anyone up for a giant fried calamari? :lol:
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]