CCCV Entry: Dissident's Ambush

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

CCCV Entry: Dissident's Ambush

Post by Robin Hood »

My first entry for the CCC V. Specifically the journeys catagory. On a journey in the western wilds, a company under the comand of Lord Glarion is about to be ambushed by dissidents.

Gallery when public:http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=287620

Deeplinks:
One
Two
Three
Four
Five

Comments? Thought? Complaints? All welcome.

Dan :wink:

BTW: Thanks to lamanda2 for a simple service.
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
doc069
Bailiff

Post by doc069 »

I seem to be full of 'for the second time tonight' observations; anyways, it would seem to be too busy/too much detail. I find that I am seeing too many different colours, but am wondering if that is just because it cannot be appreciated by looking at a photograph?

I understand that you are recreating the 'randomness' of a landscape; however, it appears the effect might be lost in the photos.

At any rate, I love it. The path, the waterfall, and the hidden rebels truly tell a story without needing any words. I can almost feel the tension of the rebels as they prepare to strike.

Lee
"Rules are for the obedience of fools. And the guidance of wise men (& women)." Sir David Ogilvy (1911-1999)
The dark tide
Gentleman

Post by The dark tide »

I love the barricade, it really sets off the Moc. The landscaping is a bit too blocky for my taste but this is a great scene. Best of luck in the contest.
"The sky grows black...shadow falls...the Dark Tide comes..."

[Edgar J.]
Sir Brithead
Apprentice

Post by Sir Brithead »

The baricade is awesome. Fig placements are good too. The empty terrain looks very good as well. Nicely done.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

I like the wall/roadblock/pallisade. The stream is also nice, and I'm liking (I think) the pine trees on top of the door hinge pieces.

I think the landscaping is a bit too colorful though. Four colors, used equally and extensively, seems like too much. Its also a big bright, I think its the tan and light grey combination.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

doc069 wrote:I seem to be full of 'for the second time tonight' observations; anyways, it would seem to be too busy/too much detail. I find that I am seeing too many different colours, but am wondering if that is just because it cannot be appreciated by looking at a photograph?

I understand that you are recreating the 'randomness' of a landscape; however, it appears the effect might be lost in the photos.

At any rate, I love it. The path, the waterfall, and the hidden rebels truly tell a story without needing any words. I can almost feel the tension of the rebels as they prepare to strike.

Lee
Thanks. And yes, the photos do leave something to be desired. It is much better appreaciated in person. That being said, I personally don't think it looks too busy, but then I hardly have an objective view.
The dark tide wrote:I love the barricade, it really sets off the Moc. The landscaping is a bit too blocky for my taste but this is a great scene. Best of luck in the contest.
Thank you. As to blockieness, well each to his own. I picked this style of landscaping as it was the one I am most familiar with.
Sir Brithead wrote:The baricade is awesome. Fig placements are good too. The empty terrain looks very good as well. Nicely done.
Thank you.
Athos wrote:I like the wall/roadblock/pallisade. The stream is also nice, and I'm liking (I think) the pine trees on top of the door hinge pieces.

I think the landscaping is a bit too colorful though. Four colors, used equally and extensively, seems like too much. Its also a big bright, I think its the tan and light grey combination.

Steve
Well I won't lie, I have never done such a large-scale landscape before. I am new to it. Really I this is as much an experiment as an entry. I was trying to create the different colours one might see in a real place (a large amount). As two the pine trees, I can take no credit. They are in fact TLC's idea. I just took them from this set:6552 Rocky River Retreat

Thanks for comments. Anymore?

I build, therefore I am.

PunkRockCowboy
Apprentice

Post by PunkRockCowboy »

The barricade is wicked sweet and the soldiers look great. Unfortunately I also think the terrain is too blocky. I think the attacking group is gonna lose even though it's a great plan, I mean one guy has a quarterstaff haha. And Rocky River Retreat, I forgot all about that set! I have it.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Robin ... bush15.jpg
^Awesome.

I'm also glad you put up pictures of just the landscape.
Escape The Fate
Foot Soldier

Post by Escape The Fate »

Nice job, i love ur trees with the door hinges, thats ingenius.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

PunkRockCowboy wrote:The barricade is wicked sweet and the soldiers look great. Unfortunately I also think the terrain is too blocky. I think the attacking group is gonna lose even though it's a great plan, I mean one guy has a quarterstaff haha. And Rocky River Retreat, I forgot all about that set! I have it.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Robin ... bush15.jpg
^Awesome.

I'm also glad you put up pictures of just the landscape.
Thank you. As for the dissidents, they are not extremely well off. And let me warn you, that guy with the quarter staff is deadly. Not many of the soilders could withstand him.
Escape The Fate wrote:Nice job, i love (your) trees with the door hinges, thats ingenius.
Thanks, and again, not my idea.

Evidently the blockiness of the terrain is the greatest problem. Since I would love to learn how to better my creations, could someone perhaps give an example of how they invision such terrain should look like? (I might add that Lego is a rather blocky thing, but I won't.)

I build, therefore I am.

Lamanda2
Merchant

Post by Lamanda2 »

Excellent!

Looks like alot of hard work put into this one- Just look at all those bricks!

I actually really like the way you have done the landscaping in this MOC. All the patches of different colors makes it look quite realistic.

Good luck in the contest. :)

~Amanda
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Lamanda]Bricks & Customs[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamanda2/]My Flickr[/url]
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

Very nice! I like the vegitation, and the barricade looks great.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.