Wells, Fargo & Co. Overland Express & Assay Office

Discussion of general LEGO topics
oo7
Villein

Wells, Fargo & Co. Overland Express & Assay Office

Post by oo7 »

In early 1848, financiers and entrepreneurs from all over North America and the world flocked to California drawn by the promise of huge profits soon after gold was found at Sutter's Mill near the small Californian township of Coloma. Vermont native Henry Wells and New Yorker William G. Fargo, two major figures in the young and fiercely competitive express industry, watched the California boom economy with keen interest. On March 18, 1852, they organized Wells, Fargo & Company, a joint-stock association with an initial capitalization of $300,000, to provide express and banking services to California.

In 1866, Wells Fargo bought out the the expanding Overland Express network controlled by transportation tycoon Ben Holladay and combined it with the Pioneer and the Overland Mail stagelines to create the largest stagecoach empire in the world. Stagecoaches carrying the Wells, Fargo & Co. name rolled from Nebraska to California via Denver and Salt Lake City. From Denver, coaches served the mining towns of the Rockies, and from Salt Lake City, they carried mail and passengers to boomtown centers of commerce (and self vigilance) in Montana and Idaho.

In 1869 at Promontory, Utah, dignitaries hammered in a Golden Spike which joined the rails of the Transcontinental Railroad – and ended an era of Wells Fargo overland stageline operations. However, stagecoaches continued rolling wherever the railroads did not. Wells Fargo contracted with independent stageline operators to carry treasure boxes and express, even into the early 20th Century.

[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=oo7]oo7's Bricklink Store[/url]
Danielas
Steward

Post by Danielas »

Well done! Though western isn't my favorite it's still great!
God Bless. Danielas

Procrastinators Unite!!!!

(tomorrow)

Proud soldier of Classic-Castle. As in, I fight against the Legion of the Aggie.
Muskey15
Journeyman

Post by Muskey15 »

Nice job! I like all the details, such as the sleeping miner, etc. Keep up the good work!

-Muskey
~His Lowness Seamus O'Callaghan of Lenfald~

"You call this archaeology?"

Lenfels ASSEMBLE!
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Nice work. This MOC is very well done. The details are great. Love the miner there asleep!

R
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I also really like your moc. It has many nice details and a clever use of the new IJ canvas. Thank you for sharing this.

Ben
oo7
Villein

Post by oo7 »

Many thanks to everyone for the great compliments! And it's always a pleasure to share my work here. :)
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=oo7]oo7's Bricklink Store[/url]