Space Police is go!

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Mog
Freeman

Space Police is go!

Post by Mog »

http://club.lego.com/en-us/Events/default.aspx

That's a link to LEGO Club's US Event page.

Scroll down for an August surprise. :)

Yup, that's the first official listing of your new 2009 Space theme.

Yay! We can openly discuss it now (...right?), and we have an official name. All the sets are still just rumors, of course, but the theme is now quasi-official, which is heartening.

In related Space-y news, the LEGO Factory sets "Space Skulls" and "Star Justice" are now just $35 each on US S@H. Yowza! I don't even like Space and I'm thinking about picking up a few (y'know, 'cause they're really Factory...). The other recent Factory set, "Custom Car Garage," is on sale for $35 as well, so you can scoop them all up and take advantage of their "Brick Friday" weekend savings as well. Must...resist...impulse...purchase...
I collect LEGO themes that start with "C." And Pirates. I call them "Corsairs."
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Interesting. I guess Lego is just as police happy in space as they are in town...

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
siabur
Laborer

Post by siabur »

I hope there's a space firefighters and space mail too. :?
Niki
Genuine Draft - A Brick Comic since October 2008
[url=http://www.dreamersink.com][img]http://www.dreamersink.com/gd/image/468x60fftban.jpg[/img][/url]
Lego is my prefered drug of choice.
[url=http://www.brickcomicnetwork.com]BCN: Brick Comic Network[/url]
CVfan13
Foot Soldier

Post by CVfan13 »

siabur wrote:I hope there's a space firefighters and space mail too. :?
Niki
Don't forget the space hospital, space transport and the space coast guard. :wink:

Hmm... I actually can't find where you are talking about on that page, but I'll take your word for it. That's interesting, I've always found the many classic space themes interesting.

Hey... something just hit me... like a brick:

Castle. Town. Pirates. Space.

This year will be 2009, and just 20 years ago, the fourth and final of these four classic themes was introduced: Pirates. Do you think this is a sign that Lego is trying to return to its roots, and in such a significant year?
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

CVfan13 wrote:
space transport :wink:
Firefly you say?

:D
Mog
Freeman

Post by Mog »

CVfan13 wrote: Hmm... I actually can't find where you are talking about on that page, but I'll take your word for it. That's interesting, I've always found the many classic space themes interesting.

Hey... something just hit me... like a brick:

Castle. Town. Pirates. Space.

This year will be 2009, and just 20 years ago, the fourth and final of these four classic themes was introduced: Pirates. Do you think this is a sign that Lego is trying to return to its roots, and in such a significant year?
In the first section of the page, where there's that list of events each month, the August 22 event reads "Space Police."

And I don't know if the year itself is significant, but I too have noticed that LEGO seems to be on more of a "classic" trajectory as of late. It's really no surprise. The relaunch of "classic" Castle went really well, and a growing part of their audience is actually adults, many of whom are nostalgic for the classic LEGO themes of their youth. So we're seeing Pirates, and a "classic" Space theme, along with sets like the Taj Mahal that simply wouldn't have been made if LEGO had never expanded beyond their 4-16 target market.

It's a LEGO Renaissance. :)
I collect LEGO themes that start with "C." And Pirates. I call them "Corsairs."
MoonCheese
Freeman

Post by MoonCheese »

Ya know, there was Space Police in the 1990s too. Possibly even the 1980s...
Avatar: Terra Branford, Final Fantasy VI
Seriole
Serf

Post by Seriole »

I wonder if this new theme will give a nod to the original theme or if it will go in a completely different direction. Hopefully TLC will do with this theme what they did with pirates. I would love to see a return of classic space, it's been dead for quite some time...
Baites
Foot Soldier

If Space Police, then Blacktron

Post by Baites »

If Space Police is making comeback, will there be a few Blacktron figs to lock up in the Brig?

If yes, then I hope the designed is based on the original guys, not the ones with the big B on their chests.
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

space police AGAIN?

my first reaction was......well kinda like when you're flying into a thunderstorm on a DC-3.......UGH
Domino Gloria!