What can I do with my limited resources?

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

What can I do with my limited resources?

Post by Commander Redbeard »

I've envied Red Bean and all the other Kings of Custimization ever since I joined. I've dug around on my computer and found that the only programs I have that are possibly useful for making stickers are an old Paint program and a HP Photo-and-Imaging. Does anybody have any idea if I can crank out a decent-looking sticker with what I have? Thanks a lot. :wink:
Sitting in a midnight glade
Firelight dancing off burnished blade
A Forestman sits
Wondering about the next day
But after three mugs of ale
Let it bring what it may.
MaxiVisVires
Squire
Location: San Diego, CA If I was any closer to LEGOLand, I'd be living there

Post by MaxiVisVires »

I've seen quite a few stickers put out by old MS Paint. Just takes time and patience. What Photoshop has over MS Paint (for stickers that is) is that it makes certain things easier, and gives you more freedom when altering images.

For other customizing, a box of sculpey costs 9.99 at your local Aaron Brothers (or similar art store). The box comes with quite a bit and is easy to work with. I also suggest getting a model knife and file. For taking away printed torso decals, the popular removal solution is using Brasso, a brass polisher that with a little buffing can remove LEGO images on your pieces quite easily. This can be found at your local Walmart for no more than 4.00.
"The Wise Warrior, When he moves, Is never confused; When he acts, Is never at a loss."
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=kaylinda]Vis Vires Toys[/url] | [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... xivisvires]My Brickshelf[/url]
Red Bean
Apprentice

Post by Red Bean »

Hi Redbeard (Hey!! Your initial is R.B., too!!),

Don't feel so dejected. We all have to start from somewhere. When I first got into this, I did my 'customization' mostly with paint and Gundam markers, and it was only a long time after that that I discovered sticker papers, then decals, and who knows what's next. The bottom line is sometimes you just have to take a plunge and get your hands dirty (and messy), and then take it a step at a time. For starter, you may want to try some of the 'free' downloads of computer softwares out there, and just see what comes next. There're also lots of helpful websites out there which give out customizing tips and stuffs that are well worth your time. Come check out me and Kaminoan's forum, for instance, especially this thread and this thread on how to get yourself started in the hobby of customization.

Of course, please feel free to ask if you have any questions :)

R. B.
visit my website: www.redbeanstudio.net
Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

Thanks both! :) I already have some Sculpey and I've tried using the instructions in the how to section, but all my pieces crack and come out all wierd-shaped... :?
A Forestman sits
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Re: What can I do with my limited resources?

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Commander Redbeard wrote:I've envied Red Bean and all the other Kings of Custimization ever since I joined. I've dug around on my computer and found that the only programs I have that are possibly useful for making stickers are an old Paint program and a HP Photo-and-Imaging. Does anybody have any idea if I can crank out a decent-looking sticker with what I have? Thanks a lot. :wink:
I can create any sticker with a palette and a one-pixel pencil - it's just a bigger pain to do. I learned on old and aggravating Deluxe Paint (or simply D-Paint). Most of the free primitive stuff available now is at least as good as that. Photoshop makes many aspects of creating a sticker easier, but if you are determined, there isn't a single sticker presented on C-C that I have seen that you couldn't (in theory) do. Determination and a willingness to learn are the truly important parts.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Okay, I feel like laughing....

MS Paint is pretty much the only image-editing program I've used to create my stickers.

This gallery:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=92427

Contains a large chunk of my custom templates. I wouldn't go so far as to call any of them great, but I think I have a few goodies in there.

Paint is more than enough, if you know how to work it. Copy-and-paste together with the different types of bitmaps they can be saved at will work wonders.
MaxiVisVires
Squire
Location: San Diego, CA If I was any closer to LEGOLand, I'd be living there

Post by MaxiVisVires »

Commander Redbeard wrote:Thanks both! :) I already have some Sculpey and I've tried using the instructions in the how to section, but all my pieces crack and come out all wierd-shaped... :?
Sounds like you need to work out your Sculpey a bit more. The more you knead it, the easier it gets to work with. Just when you think you kneaded it enough, do it some more. :D

As for the weird shaped, use more Sculpey than what you need, then using a modeling knife, shave some off. Remember, if you screw up you can just add more. Once you have the desired shape and size, you should bake your sculpey. I've heard some people that leave there's outside in the sun. But I don't trust the elements. So I use a hair dryer. It's quick and easy, and in no time it will be ready. Once the sculpey is hard enough, take the knife and a file, and do some work onto it till you get it as smooth as you want.
"The Wise Warrior, When he moves, Is never confused; When he acts, Is never at a loss."
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=kaylinda]Vis Vires Toys[/url] | [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... xivisvires]My Brickshelf[/url]
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

All of my older stuff is done in MSPaint, and I wrote an article on it. I think I have a copy around here somewhere...
The trick is to work big, and then shrink it down in a word processing/desktop publishing program. :D
this gives you the detail and loses the blockiness.

as far as sculpey goes I too am trying my hand at it, so we'll see how it goes. GO to red beans site, you'll find lots of info there.:)

good luck and I'll be watching this thread, and your updates on your progress.

Freak
Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

Ouch... I've got an obligation! I'm working on 'em now, so keep checking. I'll have 'em some day now... :)
A Forestman sits
Chancellor Erik
Apprentice

Post by Chancellor Erik »

I have used MS paint in all of my stickers...I still enjoy that time-consuming pixel-by-pixel shanding method, especially on Jpegs.

(If anyone here is a computer geek you'll get what I mean by that)

But seriously, the oldest and simplest may still just be the best.
Remember, when you reach for the stars, they're too far away and its hopeless. And even if you could, that would burn your hand clean off. - Wally, from Scott Adams' "Dilbert"