19%
Forestmen's Crossing
11%

Total votes: 124

architect
Baron von Ellermann

The Legends Poll

Post by architect »

Brad Justus, former head of LEGO Direct wrote:LEGO Legends are reissues of landmark LEGO sets -- perhaps the first set in a particular playtheme, or a set widely acknowledged as a superlative building experience, or perhaps simply a much beloved set...
LEGO Legends will not be issued frequently -- likely only a few times each year. But you can be certain that the sets which will appear in this series will be the very best that LEGO has produced.
Some day LEGO will have to make another Castle Legend. I am curious to see what set is the best of the best in your minds. I have put together a list of landmark sets from 1984-1990. Please take into consideration that smaller sets have not been made into legends get, so only mid to large size ones are on this list. Plus, quite a few deserving sets were left off so as to not have a huge list (LEGO Castle was just that good in the 80's ;) ) Finally, a determining factor in your vote is that the sets would be made with bley, not old grey.

Choose your favorite and tell us why. You may also rank the sets in order of favorite to least favorite.

Choices:

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

6080 King's Castle - Good: The first truly widespread large LEGOLAND castle in grey. This set is the ultimate grey parts pack for castle. It includes many nice features such as brick built stairs and portcullis, small jail, hinge opening modular design, archer towers, and a main gate tower. The set contains four knights, four archers, two axemen, two spearmen. Bad: It would be in bley. However this would allow us to stock up on usefull pieces easily.

6041 Armor Shop - Good: Considered to be the Holy Grail of castle wall shops. It contains two pieces, the black sword and lion flag, that only came in this set. Other features include a weapons rack, armorer, and a knight. Bad: One disadvantage is that LEGO has not made a set this small into a Legend yet. Would the price point be reasonable? ($20 or less for 109 pieces).

6062 Battering Ram - Good: This modular wall section has a great design featuring a small octagonal archer tower, double hinged design, and a small side door entrance. The ram is fun to play with and knock open the door or rush across the top of the wall. It contains the harder to find printed wall sections. You can let the falcons or the lions own the wall section to expand whichever castle you have. Three minifigures of each faction are included. Bad: Bley, and the ram breaks very easily when playing with it.

6066 Camouflaged Outpost - Good: Outpost set the tone for all future Forestmen sets. This secret forest hideout contains and opening roof, hinged design, and a rotating hidden vertical door. It also has a horde of armed forestmen. You get two red, two blue, "green peasant", the rare black forestman, a horse, treasure, and other accessories. Errol Flynn would be proud. Bad: Bley, and no Maid Marian figure.

1584/6060 Knight's Challenge - Good: Considered by many to be the best joust set LEGO ever made. The set has a colorful design with a pavilion, beer stand, and weapons rack. Two knights on horses (with bardings) joust to win the tournament. A lady, the two squires, two guards, and beer selling peasant watch on. This set has a huge amount of figures considering its size and price range. Another advantage is the limited use of grey which would mostly negate bley problems. Bad: Never released widely in Europe. It is hard to build other stuff since the brick to minifig ratio (17:1) is too low... wait what am I saying ;)

6071 Forestman's Crossing - Good: The set contains a tree tower connected to a rock tower with a bridge. A unique stream baseplate and the rare forestwoman figure were only included in this set. Four other forestmen, treasure, a brown ladder, and a horse round out the set. Kevin Costner would be proud (but is that a good thing?) Bad: Again this set was never released widely outside of North America. The design is not as inspired as other forestmen sets like 6066 and 6054.
Last edited by architect on Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

I would definately vote for the camouflaged Outpost. I have alway liked Forestmen but I have very few of them... and it´s a very good set.
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Bloody Jay
Foot Soldier

Post by Bloody Jay »

I think I would have to go with King's Castle... I mean, Forestmen are great and all, but King's Castle would be essential to create an opportunity for large-scale blay castles.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

I would take the Knight's Challenge. It's got a great selection of parts,minifigs and weapons. My favorite part is all the different colours. It's a real pity TLC doesn't do things like that anymore. It also has plates and trees, minifigs I would asume would like to get under the shade once in a while.

I also chose this one because in comparison to the King's Castle, this one will be more in my price range. :wink:
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

I voted Armor Shop (because) it was my first set.

But any of these would be great. Awesome selection Ben.
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Zacku
Laborer

Post by Zacku »

My vote is for the Knight's Challenge. It has figures from almost every faction, save for the Black Falcons. However, what makes you think some of these reissues will be in bley? Since they're Legends, it would make sense for Lego to produce them in old colors so the fans don't get angry.
Your ad here.
eNiGMa
Justiciar

Post by eNiGMa »

I voted Camouflaged Outpost. Lego already produced a Legend castle; BFF. Sure, it's only mid-sized, but it still counts as a castle for most the people who look at it. Besides, the Outpost has lots of forestmen in it for a relatively low price, and a bit of landscaping to boot.

EDIT: I can't change my vote on the poll, but I've changed my mind and am going with the River Crossing. I overlooked certain things in it before, like the baseplate, brown ladder, and the forest babe.
Last edited by eNiGMa on Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan Cunningham
[url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com]Blog[/url] | [url=https://www.facebook.com/nathan.cunningham.9]Facebook[/url] | [url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html]MOCs[/url]
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

After a bit of internal debate, I've decided to vote for the Crossing. It has that cool plate, nice parts, good figs and a FORESTWOMAN! Plus, I don't own the set. :wink:
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
The Yeti
Laborer

Post by The Yeti »

i dont own any but i want the castle!
Funny things DO happen--just never when you need them...
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

One thing to consider is that the Black Falcons and Crusaders both already have gotten a Legend. Therefore, of the choices given the two Forestmen sets would be the best. I voted for the crossing for all the reasons Lord_of_the_Lego did. :lol:
kingkastle
Laborer

Post by kingkastle »

Camoflauged Outpost!!! Why well simply put because factions such as the forestmen or wolfpack are the two most easily used for creating bandit/thief groups. I honestly would actually prefer to see TLC release more neutral castle sets as opposed to releasing more of the same 'knights in castles' that always seem to be produced year after year. I just need some variety and the forestmen sets somewhat offered that in their time.

As for ranking:
1)6066 Camouflaged Outpost
2)6071 Forestman's Crossing
3)6080 King's Castle
4)1584/6060 Knight's Challenge
5)6062 Battering Ram
6)6041 Armor Shop
well I would at least like to think that I'm evil...
babyjawa
Steward

Post by babyjawa »

I did armor shop

cause it has some rare pieces and I never got it :cry:
My life is based on a true story.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Well, it was a tough choice between the River Crossing and the Knight's Challenge. Knights Challenge won in the end, for several reasons.

First, (though not necessarily the main reason) very little, if any, grey. That means less bley.

Second, this is a set that would appeal to kids, as well as adults. Your regular joust with a lady prize, what more could you want? Plus, if kids like it, theres more chance that TLC will make it a legend.

Third, pieces. I won't go into great detail here, but its obvious that there is a great selection.

List of sets, from best to worst (though they all rock).
1. Knights Challenge
2. Forestman's Crossing
3. King's Castle
4. Camouflaged Outpost
5. Armor Shop
6. Battering Ram

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
The Hordesman
Merchant

Post by The Hordesman »

Forestmen's Crossing, a useful baseplate I want alot of, forestmen, forestwoman and a Forestmen shield, also alot of other nice pieces. Second place is Blacksmith's shop. Its hard to pick of all these great sets, but third place is given to all others of these sets.

Camoflauged outpost no thanks for me, I got one, and there is no shield! But Im sure some people want one. Wierd is that I got it with alot more figs, but only one brown hat. :?
[url=http://s14.invisionfree.com/brick_central/index.php?act=idx]Brick Central[/url]
[url=http://s13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World.php?act=idx]Castle World, for your Lego castle stories![/url]
plums_deify
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by plums_deify »

I voted for the King's Castle. I like the design, and plus there's a whole lot of minifigs, horses, and the like.

The Knight's Challenge was a very close second.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Be Smart. Be evil.

Sister Brick @ [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]!