7019 Viking Fortress against the Fafnir Dragon

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
bombcar
Serf

7019 Viking Fortress against the Fafnir Dragon

Post by bombcar »

Price: $69.99 at TRU, bought 3, paid for two.

Description: A Viking Fortress attempts to repel an attack by the Fafnir Dragon.

Pieces: 1019 + about 30 extra small pieces.

Dragons: The construction of the dragons is pretty ingenious, though the larger one contains a fair number of Bionicle pieces. They are not single piece dragons, and could easily be modified if desired. I was unable to determine the purpose of the smaller black dragon.

Vikings: The six characters provided are well detailed, however, the armor caps are not made of the same plastic as the bricks and have a tendency to fall off. For example, it is unlikely that you can pick up one of these minifigs by their helmet. Besides the sword which is soft and too large, the weapons are quite nice. The axes are not single piece as in older castle sets, but a single lightsaber pole with an attachable head. This allows the construction of a double axe for one Viking. The axe heads move a bit too much on the double headed axe for my tastes. Six characters is not many for a fort of this size, but once a Viking ship or two gets back, it'll be quite well manned.

Viking Fortress: The fort itself is very well done. It reminds me of the old 6769 Fort Legoredo. The gate, however, is quite well constructed and will withstand a decent attack. Exceptional use of technic beams allows the pillars to be strengthened to resist direct attack. The design of the door will not allow a battering ram to work unless it can deform or break the pillars along side it.

The wall sections on the side are identical copies of each other, and relatively plain. Each one comes with a small catapult, with grey minifig heads to throw at the dragons. The method of providing the bend in the wall is a interesting one, and worthy of imitation.

The rear of the Viking fort is a jail of sorts, but why the Vikings have a small dragon in a jail is not specified. More interesting is the large catapult on the roof of the jail, which has a clever lever that allows you to fling one of three large rocks at the attackers.

Both the rocks and the axe heads and some of the armor are made from a new color, a speckled mixture of silver and black that looks decent.

Conclusion: Overall, this is an excellent set with good playability. The part count is high (over 1000 pieces), and only a few Bionicle parts don't lend themselves to immediate reusability. Though it is not part of the Viking line, the door lends itself to a challenge from a battering ram, which can be constructed from other sets. I rate it highly among currently available sets and it compares favorably with some of the classics from years past. A large number of pieces for the price, especially with the TRU sale. Please note, the set is almost entirely the new brown and grey.
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Re: 7019 Viking Fortress against the Fafnir Dragon

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

An excellent review! I agree with everything completely. I feel there's no need for me to write one of my own now. :D
bombcar wrote:Six characters is not many for a fort of this size, but once a Viking ship or two gets back, it'll be quite well manned.
Aye. This is probably the only part of this set that really annoys me. Six figs is still a large (and great) amount, but the fortress really feels undermanned. Since the longship, a smaller set, had six figs, why could've the fortress had eight? Ah well, a minor nitpick.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
CAI
Journeyman

Post by CAI »

Yep, gota get this one :D . I haven't seen any close up-detailed shots of any of these viking sets.

Has anybody got on that yet?
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Cyin]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

All those precious brown wood pieces!!! I'd love to get my hands on them. I would probably not even bother to put the fort together, off for brick fodder they would go!
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

I can't believe so many people are having trouble with the helmets. Mine seem to fit on pretty snugly, though maybe not as much as the other hats. I haven't seriously played with them much either yet, as I just got and built them within the past two or three days :D

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
plums_deify
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by plums_deify »

I agree with Athos. My figs can be picked up by their helms. I don't have an issue with them falling off. They twist a bit, but they're on pretty sturdy for me.

As for the mutant-dragon-thing, I figure it's supposed to go into the jail because they captured it. And Mom's pissed, hence the big dragon attacking the fortress. Or, that's my internal storyline. :D

I adore the big green dragon. It's well articulated, and has amazing posability. She can fold her wings, lay down, eat you out of her hands, or knock you off her back. You know. Whatever.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Be Smart. Be evil.

Sister Brick @ [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]!
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

My helmets don't fall off. They do twist around a bit. I'm sure if I picked them up by the helmet, shuck them around a bit, I could make it fall off easier than if I did the same thing say with the older helmet with the neck protector.

Anyways, the review is nice. I'd want the two larger sets (boat and fortress), but I probably won't get them due to lack of money.

I agree, the largest set should come with more figures! Eight would be great!
It's a Christmas Miracle!
TheBohrok
Artisan

Post by TheBohrok »

I just picked up and built this set today, and I think it's great! The gate can be barred to keep intruders out and there are not as many Bionicle pieces as in the prototype model. I only wish they had kept the part of the roof that sloped to a point instead of inserting three catapults into this set. This is not really a gripe, but there are a couple differences from the cover of the box and what is included in the set. Overall, I am very happy with this set.
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Athos wrote:I can't believe so many people are having trouble with the helmets. Mine seem to fit on pretty snugly, though maybe not as much as the other hats. I haven't seriously played with them much either yet, as I just got and built them within the past two or three days
Darkie wrote:I agree with Athos. My figs can be picked up by their helms. I don't have an issue with them falling off. They twist a bit, but they're on pretty sturdy for me.
lil Jon wrote:My helmets don't fall off. They do twist around a bit. I'm sure if I picked them up by the helmet, shuck them around a bit, I could make it fall off easier than if I did the same thing say with the older helmet with the neck protector.
Same here. My helmets don't "fall off" if you flick the figure over, and I can pick up my Vikings by their helmets with no problem. They are slighly looser than older castle helms, but no annoyingly so.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

That's an excellent review. Thanks!

I too like this set. Besides the great minifigs (that are actually all six of six different torso/head combinations) I'm especially fond of the dragon, the gate and *cough* even the big catapult. Also the octagonalness of the fortress is very cool.

The dragon Fafnir is similiar but not equal to the one in the *sigh* catapult set (Nidhögg), and I like Fafnir better than Nidhögg because he has the less clumsy body. I spent quite a time posing both dragons and I enjoyed it... Here Bionicle parts really have their place!

The gate is impressive and I consider it the best part of the whole fortress. So I was almost slightly disappointed that the gate is the first thing to build of the fortress following the instructions. In terms of build-up of tension I like it better when the best things are built at the end. :-) Anyway, this gate is cleverly constructed, and it looks strong and barbarian.

Catapults. LEGO's answer to the never asked question "What do kids like best when it comes to play?" However, the big catapult on top of the rear cage is cool. While building it I was curious all along where this construction I was building at that moment would be leading to. And the result is a functional catapult that is fun to play with, yes, I have to admit it.

The smaller catapults on top of the side towers are pointless, though. Instead of yet another pair of catapults they should have included some barracks for the men. While the whole fortress looks good from outside, inside it's lacking substance. It's even lacking ladders to access the battlements.

Why the big catapults throws chunks of ore I don't know. Maybe they just had this new speckled colour for the axes and helmets and thought "well, let's use this colour some more!"

The small dragon is pointless, too. Its sole purpose seems to be the excuse for the cage at the rear. Which LEGO castle of any sort ever came without some kind of cage or prison?[1][2] Because there are no human enemies in the Viking line they needed something else they could imprison. But the small dragon comes with some neat black parts that can be very useful so I won't bash it.

The whole set is mostly newbrown and newgrey. But *sigh* I knew that beforehand and I bought it nevertheless. Except for very few parts (1x1 slopes and large maccaroni bricks e.g.) I could build it with old parts in correct colours, though. Maybe I'll be doing that sometimes.

All things considered I like this set.

[1] Answer: The yellow Castle and the Black Falcon's Fortress.
[2] In this case the cage means: Few parts, big volume. And no new idea but just routine -> thus easy for the set designers.

As for the helmets that easily fall of: I have two of these helmets, too. Two out of (let me count quickly) 17 helmets of that sort. My attempt of an explanation why some people don't know this problem is: LEGO certainly makes several helmet pieces with one mold/tool, maybe 10 at the same time. It's possible one place in that mold wasn't aligned accurately thus leading to the helmets that don't fit tightly, while the other places yield pieces as they are meant to be. (Sorry, I'm neither a toolmaker nor a native English speaker, so I don't know the proper vocabulary to use :-) )

Bye
Jojo
Last edited by Jojo on Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

That was a great post Jojo. I also like the octagonal shape of the fortress, the door construction, and even the big catapult. The jail does seem pointless, especially since it would be very hard to fit the large dragon in it. I do like the small dragon though. The dragons do seem to be copies of ones in other sets, or vise versa.

I like the symmetrical construction of the fortress and the system of wall construction (systems are good). The colors are good because there are not too many and basic ones of brown, green, dark grey, and black are used. There are not too many colors. I do not like the bionicle shields and think they take away from the set. Side towers without catapults (but with archers) would be great. Also one or two of the vikings should have a horse to ride in and out of the doors. Barracks or some interior building would be great. Since the fort could be modular, how about a wall section with a barracks next year? Overall I really like this set and think it is the correct direction that Castles should go in. I also like it more than Vladek's Castle.

Ben
eNiGMa
Justiciar

Post by eNiGMa »

Good review! :D

I actually like the new metallic colored boulders that come with the big catapult. They'll make for a nice mine MOC one of these days....

The gate is the best part of the fortress, and the most fun to build. I especially like the way it locks. Very cool!

Fafnir is actually my favorite part of the set. It surprised even me! I've started to kinda like the joint pieces. I definitely want to build some beasts now! Plus, the dragon has more of a "closeness" factor with me--its name appears in my e-mail address! :lol:

What disappointed me was that my fortress didn't come with any of the shield stickers. :cry: Did anyone else have this problem?
Nathan Cunningham
[url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com]Blog[/url] | [url=https://www.facebook.com/nathan.cunningham.9]Facebook[/url] | [url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html]MOCs[/url]
Heeck
Serf

Post by Heeck »

I went to Toysrus looking to see if they were in, and they were. My original intention was merely to look, but I sat there a good 30 minutes looking and decided to buy this set now, and maybe the Longboat at a later time. For a newer lego set, I am impressed. The fortress looks very nice upon completion. I have a few problems with it, though. First, the interior is way too boring. All that's interesting is the jail and front gate. The left and right sides are exactly the same and too plain. Next, the "Fafnir Dragon" does look nice, but it feels nothing like the lego I used to love. Plus, the joints are really loose. I actually have to hold him in position. Also, I bought this 1019 piece set expecting at least a 5 hour build. Yet, it took merely 2 hours due to all of the huge, chunky wall pieces, etc. And finally, my Vikings have really loose helmets. They don't fall off as I turn them upside-down, but they tend to do a 360 degree spin with the slightest touch. I suppose that's all I could expect from a new set. However, the Vikings are good enough for me, and I hate new lego, so go figure. I suppose I'll add on to the interior with some green baseplates and necessities (food supplies, etc).
Stone Goblin
Bailiff

Post by Stone Goblin »

I love this set for it's gate design, vikings, new faces, axes, shields, many horns and shape of the fort.

I hate this set for it's new color pieces but I know Lego probably won't go back to the old colors, He-Man swords, lack of fort interior and short of figures to defend.

Everything else is okay.

My reason for the small dragon and cage for it, I think the Vikings wanted the Fafnir dragon to attack them. They built the cage, kidnapped the baby dragon(probably lost alot of men doing so),put up the defenses and catapults for the dragon. Why? You ask. To get some more dragon horns of course.

Overall I give this set a:
7 stars out of 10
My MOCpages:[url]http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/2746[/url]

Our store(Peppermint Pig and I)
LibertyBRICK:[url]http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Stone_Goblin[/url]
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

I believe it was jojo who pointed out the resemblance between fafnir and nidhogg. That was the first thing i noticed when i got my catapult set. Now i havent built nidhogg yet so i cant compair side by side. Something neat about a red dragon though. I think i shale giv ehim to my scorpion faction. (i've used shadow knights as a basis making vladeks cavelry and so forth)

Fafnir is much cooler than i had originally expected. Even the pictures in the manual didnt do him justice. It wasnt until i was actually finished making him that i realized he did look very cool.

I'd also like to mention the ghold color used for the 'king' fig's helmet. Is it just me or would you love to see an entire fig outfitted in this, helm axe's shield, and most importantly euro armor. (jake if you're listening, my paladin needs gold euro armor, pass it on: )

cant say enough good things about the new speckled silver color too.

I do not like the new instructions, these last few years. WHen was it that the background went from yellow to this new lighter color? the contrast, or lack thereof plays havoc with me, but not many people have my particular issue so i cannot really lodge this as a general complaint against the set or lego in general.

in conclusion. Love vikings! hoping for romans! : )